Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to have screen background for each virtual desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to have screen background for each virtual desktop?

In previous versions of Kubuntu, I could define a screen background image for each virtual desktop. But with Raring, I can not. I can only change default settings, which apply to all virtual desktops.

But having different images is the best way to know which virtual desktop you are in.

I think I must be missing something. But what?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I do not understand. If I do ctl-tab, it switches between the local and default image. What is going on?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

I believe it's System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Virtual Desktops > Desktops and check Different widgets for each desktop
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I believe it's System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Virtual Desktops > Desktops and check Different widgets for each desktop
        I had already done that. In fact, the problem is stranger than I said.

One can use ctl-TAB to alternate between different windows on a virtual desktop. But since Raring, doing so on a virtual desktop with no windows on it changes to the background image for VD no. 1 and a box with a KDE "kidney" which says "Show desktop", the latter showing only while you hold alt-TAB depressed.

Is this something new with this release of KDE?

Comment

Well, making the setting here works; I have four different wallpapers on each of my four Virtual Desktops.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So do I. But if I click ctl-TAB on a VD sans window open, it does what I described before.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Comment

Show you are seeing that when you use Task Switcher (cycling through windows)?

If so, it might be the "show desktop" functionality in the task switcher, to test try unticking 'show "show desktop" icon' in SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>TaskSwitcher (check both primary and alternative tabs).

Comment

yes doing what snowhog posted does provide different backgrounds but then limits other windows, etc.

I would REALLY like to have different backgrounds but have opted for having different folders/widgets on them to distinguish and provide visual interest.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                  yes doing what snowhog posted does provide different backgrounds but then limits other windows, etc.

woodsmoke
                  Hmmm. What else does it limit? Thanks.

Comment

Alt-tab weirdness

I never got a good answer to my simplest question.

I have different background pix for different virtual desktops and it works fiine. Unless I am stupid enough to do ctl-tab on one without applications open. I have checked "Different widgets for each desktop".

If I do alt-tab on a virtual desktop with applications open, it switches between them. Just what I want.

If I do alt-tab on a virtual desktop with no applications open, it changes the background picture. NOT what I want.

I cannot put back the background pic without closing all applications on the virtual desktop. Definitely NOT what I want.

I suspect this is due to a multiple definition of what the alt-tab key does, but cannot find it. I also suspect it is due to Acitivities or some other KDE jazz which I neither understand, nor need, nor want.

Help, please.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
                      ...If I do alt-tab on a virtual desktop with applications open, it switches between them. Just what I want.

If I do alt-tab on a virtual desktop with no applications open, it changes the background picture. NOT what I want.

I cannot put back the background pic without closing all applications on the virtual desktop. Definitely NOT what I want. ...
                      I believe I have reproduced the behavior you describe.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      Show you are seeing that when you use Task Switcher (cycling through windows)?

If so, it might be the "show desktop" functionality in the task switcher, to test try unticking 'show "show desktop" icon' in SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>TaskSwitcher (check both primary and alternative tabs).
                      I didn't find this exact setting in precise, but I did find this.
                      Here are my current settings in precise. If I change List windows to All Desktops I get the behavior you describe.

Can you show what you have in raring for SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>TaskSwitcher.
                      Here are my settings in my raring VirtualBox guest. Is it possible you have selected All Other Desktops under Filter Windows by?
                      sigpic

Comment

Alt+tab other use

The answer to my question is right there on your last image. Task Switcher :> Shortcuts > All windows > Forward is alt+tab. Since I never advance through windows like that (Does "Windows" mean virtual desktops?), I just deleted that and now all works well.

Maybe I could unselect Activities under "Filter windows by". I really do not understand that and have never caught on to activities either. I really do wonder what it was doing, because it was NOT going from one VD to another. What are these "windows"?

In any case, the problem goes away be selecting "None" for forward through all windows. Thanks a million for your help, life0riley.

Comment

Aiiie, no! That was NOT what I wanted. Now I cannot tab through open applications in a VD. Apparently, that is what "Windows" means.

So after putting it back, I have exactly what you have in your 2nd example, from raring, which is what I use.

What does it mean, "Filter windows by activities"?

Comment

Aiiie, no! That was NOT what I wanted. Now I cannot tab through open applications in a VD. Apparently, that is what "Windows" means.

So after putting it back, I have exactly what you have in your 2nd example, from raring, which is what I use.

What does it mean, "Filter windows by activities"?
                            I don't currently use activities and don't have a good grasp on the concept. Apparently with it you can associate applications to specific desktops. It's more granular than merely having an application open and switching to that virtual desktop. I have more reading to do on that.

Try unchecking Activities but leave Virtual desktops checked with the same settings under Filter windows by.

I'm at work now and have limited time. I can look at this in greater detail tonight after you reply.
                            sigpic

Comment

I set up a raring with OpenGL and desktop effects to test this out.
                              Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                              ...Try unchecking Activities but leave Virtual desktops checked with the same settings under Filter windows by.
                              Nevermind...Unchecking Activities does not change the behavior at all from what I can see.

...If I do alt-tab on a virtual desktop with no applications open, it changes the background picture. NOT what I want...
                              I have to select All other desktops to get the behavior you describe.

If I Alt + Tab on a virtual desktop with no applications open I get this. The background picture does not change. This is with my current settings. Current desktop is selected.

Here are my current settings
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X