This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

README: If the Desktop Installer CD crashes when trying to install

If your installer CD crashes when your trying to install Kubuntu, then try the following:

1) restarting your computer, and running the install procedure again, sometimes it bugs out for no reason.
    2) Try the alternate installer CD. It may be uglier, but it will be more stable.

If anyone else has any comments on what they did to make it work, such as on the Xubuntu CD, you can't set up NTP support, because apt is kinda broken (have to remove some files from debconf), then post here your workarounds.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Re: README: If the Desktop Installer CD crashes when trying to install

When installing on my laptop (a fujitsu-seimens amilo l1310g), it kept crashing at around 50% to 60% (ussually 66%) copying files, turned out it was a faulty disc (used disc check, it was the filesystem file), so I made about 2 more discs, turned out to be a faulty batch > (though I have mad fine audio cds with cds from it), becasue when I cheekeley recorded the iso to the only other cd I had, a cd-rw, the after burn verification and discs own checker worked fine and it installed without crashing :P. I had ordered some of those discs ons ship-it about a month before, but they hadn't come, they came about 2 weeks after, but I can still lend them to people.

Comment

The first time I installed Kubuntu, I was using the LiveOS during the install, the install crashed.
      On my second attempt I didn't do anything while the install was in progress and it was totally successful.
      &quot;Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don&#039;t add up.&quot;&nbsp; James Magary

Comment

Tried installing from the cd that came with Computer Active magazine, froze up at the Language selection screen (didn't even load the list of languages). Tried that a few times then gave up.
        Downloaded and burned the desktop release and it installed fine!

~Shiv

Comment

Wow, the desktop installer is just horrible!

First time it froze at 73% and trashed both of my harddrives(don't ask me how, it wasn't even supposed to touch my data drive or XP partion). Took me 2 days to get everything back.

And now with a new disk it just crashes and nothing gets installed.

Didn't try the alternate installer yet though, but that will be next.

Comment

My Kubuntu crashed, maybe for a weird Davicom/tulip ethernet card, and chopped the boot sector of the win partition. So i had no operating system and i had to do something.

I tried starting installation again and wait a real lot (more than one hour) with the machine apparently doing nothing, but then... it came out reporting an error, finishing the installation, installing Grub and saving the win side.
            So be patient... leave the machine alone and give it a lot, a real lot of time.
            Sometimes it works and it worked for me
            Pep

Comment

well, on my Acer525TE all I get from booting the cd is:

[4294925.386000]
              irq15: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
              handlers:
              [<c0252040)> (ide_intr+0x0/0x200)]
              Disabling IRQ #15

repeated "ad libitum"

i tried to boot from floppy with sbm, but it doesn't work

any suggestion?

Joseph

Comment

Hi,

About this irqpoll, you should read this subject it should help you.
                http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...p/t-76761.html

Cheers

Comment

thanks sky,

I read it and I tried it. It didn't work.

It suggests to add irqpoll to the boot options, to do that I have to press esc while grub is starting, but when I boot from cd I never see the grub start... I can see it while booting from hda with fedora (my actual OS), but if I add irqpoll to the boot options it's a temporary setting change, so when I try to reboot from cd this option go lost.... how can I change boot parameters from cd?

the readme file under /install suggests to boot from floppy, creating a sbm.bin image with dd command, but I was unable to use this command options...

Still hoping to move to Kubuntu...

Joseph

Comment

My install was to an external USB drive. I tried the alternative disk since it was for just such an install. The screen went black during the xserver install. Just stayed that way. Blew away my main MBR. Ubuntu also went black- I stopped the install at that point. Tried Kubuntu and Ubuntu several time all the same.
                    I installed Kubuntu 5.10 did all updated and upgraded the installation to 6.06. This worked OK.
                    My bootloader for linux is installed on the MBR of the USB drive as my computer can boot from a USB drive.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 with a Dell E153FP LCD monitor.

Sarge would not install until the r2 update due to monitor problems.

Comment

Very important for newbies like myself:

"Make sure when you download dapper drake select: "iso alternate image" and use top quality media like sony or verbatim, burn at slowest speed possible, and installation is a dream come true.

Comment

Hello,

When I boot my computer with the install CD-ROM Kubuntu, the installer chrashes when it tries to create a user. The install CD is a downloaded ISO from Kubuntu and burned onto a CD-ROM.
                        I tryd twice a new CD with no success. Also a new boot gives no changes.
                        The live CD-ROM from Ubuntu 5.1 gives no problems with booting what so ever.
                        Please some advise or help to get Kubuntu running on my computer.

Thanks,

Geert Jan

Comment

meh, I tried installing kubuntu about 10 times on my 933Mhz box...I finally installed it...but then it kept freezing...ugh. So, I ran memTest 86+...and found that I had a bad RAM stick. Tossed the stick, the new install went like cream, and I...was up and running. It was gorgeous.

-matthew

Comment

Hi,

Installed Kubuntu 6.06 as a virtual machine in VMware. During installation, just after defining the partitions, I almost never can select the partition belonging to a directory (/, /boot, /swap, /var,...).

Yes, I clearly say almost never, since I tried to install it many times, until I found "by accident" the workaround described below...

I also can't select the "reformat" check box.

The solution to this is simply to cancel the current installation and restart the installation. Most of the settings (including the newly created partitions) will still be valid and the second time it always goes through nicely.

Don't ask me why, I simply don't know. But it works...

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                              2) Try the alternate installer CD. It may be uglier, but it will be more stable.
                              that's right
                              i had some strange problem with network: LiveCD didn't see my network connection, so the installation crashed; i had to use alternate installer and everything was ok

Comment

Working...
                              X