Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'll use the server iso for my next install.

I read through some stuff on dd and cp, but can't figure out how to copy directories including their files from one drive to another.
    As you can see I am not really comfortable with the cl yet and don't want to lose / corrupt my data
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Fintan.

About copying large amounts of data, I don't think Dolphin is in any way slowing it down compared to a CLI solution.
      In my experience the bottleneck is USB2, I have the option to use USB3 and the difference is incredible.

The CLI option to get all files and directories copied is -R or -r or --recursive.

So to copy your whole home you'd do:
      Code:
      cp ~/home -R /media/your usb drive/

Comment

Thanks Teunis

Well I think I have found the culprit. Since I don't have a HD win7 install I had room for a second distro, so Installed the latest mint KDE with its grub to sda.

This grub sticks vene after over night shut down. My thinking is that something happened after a Kubuntu update/grade with its grub.
        I will try reinstalling grub from Kubuntu and see what happens then.

Keep you posted.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by fintan View Post
          this grub sticks vene after over night shut down.
          lolwut?

Comment

Sorry, I was writing from my phone. Grub installed from Mint KDE sticks (is still there) even after an over night shut down.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes on multi distro installs we have to be aware Grub is (without tricks) only effectively upgraded from the last done install.

Comment

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you for so long. Busy working.
                After almost 6 months of peace from this issue it has arisen again. I have had kubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 running side by side since 13.10 final. Have not done any major updates/grades to 13.10 since. For two mornings running I get an error which only boot-repair can fix. What are the tricks for making this work with grub?
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

What's the error?

Comment

"Loading error" most of the time, sometimes it throws me something else.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

When does this happen -- while GRUB itself is loading, or after you choose one of your two Kubuntu options?

Comment

Neither. I get no grub boot menu at all,, instead I get that error
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sounds to me like a hardware (disk) problem...

Comment

That would not be good. At all. Just a question. I have been going into sleep mode (closing the lid) a lot lately. would that compromise the HD? This lapptop is barely 2 years old, I don't see the HD failing so quickly.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sleep as in suspend to RAM or disk?
                              As long as you wait for the disk to spin down before you move the laptop it shouldn't matter.

You could run the S.M.A.R.T tools to check on the disk's health...

Comment

I'm not (yet) convinced it's a hardware problem. See if you can try to find a pattern. First, run Boot-Repair. Then boot into 13.10. Observe how it behaves. Reboot into 13.10 again. Can you consistently boot 13.10 without problems? Now boot 13.04. Then reboot 13.04 again. Does it work? Finally, boot back into 13.10 again. Does the error appear?

Comment

Working...
                                X