This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webcam microphone fails in Skype

Phonom says the microphone works. I have also been able to use it successfully in Google Voice.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Is you microphone promoted to the top of the list in Phonon?

It was not on mine, and that is what tripped me up.

I also gave up trying to use built-in mics, and bought an external UVC camera / mic combo, which is well supported in Linux.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Skype requires exclusive usage of audio devices

Yes, it is at the top.

I have realized than changing the device (many similar options are displayed for every device) in options makes it work. Initially this worked until the next system session so I should do the change every time I use skype.

Then I observed that Skype requires exclusive use of audio devices, so if I'm playing Amarok then Skype is unable to use both microphone and speakers. Only some time after closing Amarok (or any other program using audio) Skype is able to exclusively use audio devices. Also changing the devices as said above makes it work.

So, maybe the question now is: is it possible to make skype being able to share audio devices with other applications?

I don't like using Skype, but sadly most contacts require it (specially at job). Anyway, can you recommend alternatives for Kubuntu? Pidgin, Empathy...?

Comment

Antonio:

So, maybe the question now is: is it possible to make skype being able to share audio devices with other applications?

I don't like using Skype, but sadly most contacts require it (specially at job). Anyway, can you recommend alternatives for Kubuntu? Pidgin, Empathy...?
        I've not run into the exclusivity issue with Skype. I thought Pulse Audio was supposed to have overcome that limitation.

I know what you mean about Skype. Fortunately, I don't have to use it often. As to an alternative, no, I don't know. At least not something else that is compatible with Skype.

However, with that said, here is an article that outlines some of the alternatives. Can you use Google's services instead of Skype with your colleagues? If so, that may be the solution.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Probavly a missing dependency or something.
          Code:
          sudp apt-get install -f
          might fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Probavly a missing dependency or something.
            Code:
            sudp apt-get install -f
            might fix that.
            In another thread it was reported that Pulseaudio doesn't work with Skype. With Kubuntu 12.04, Logitech Webcam C270 and Pulse Audio running, I got no sound on the Echo/Sound Test Service. Disabling PulseAudio (as described on the Skype help page, "Can I change the sound system used by Skype for Linux?"), I still got no sound with "Default device" for Microphone. I had to select the microphone by getting its USB ID and selecting that instead of "Default device". Open a terminal and type "lsusb". This prints a list of things connected to USB ports. Look for something that you recognize as your webcam and then try to find the corresponding entry in the Microphone list (Skype S-Menu>Options>Sound Devices>Microphone. Don't forget Apply.

Comment

Working...
            X