This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to use openvpn in Kubuntu?

Hi, I tried yesterday to install many different VPN clients and in the end I understood I must have some login information in order to use VPN.

so, after I install OpenVPN, where to find Gateway (I suppose it is IP address, should I write my local IP address or some server address?), CA file, Certificate, key, username and password?

I believe I should connect client to some server, but I don't have idea where to find OpenVPN server and its IP address and username and password and certificates...

I tried one time even with my email hosting, they let me to download zip file with VPN configuration files, but I didn't succeed to use OpenVPN to connect to my email.
    but I am interested to use some free VPN for Kubuntu for Internet generally, not only for email.

some tutorial on youtube doesn't say where he downloaded his openvpn configuration (zip) file...

should I register myself at some server in order to be able to use openvpn? if yes, which server? I don't have any idea...
    Last edited by asteriks; May 10, 2013, 01:52 AM. Reason: adding question

Let's start with a simple question: what do you want to use a VPN for?

Comment

Yeah, what Steve said What you want to use it forcan help determine what type to try.

But to assume some things:
      I am guessing you want to connect to an openvpn server from a provider (not one running one of your own computers - installing openvpn itself is to turn your computer into the vpn server)
      You will need to make sure the package network-manager-openvpn is installed , as Network Manager needs this in order to connect to one. This is assuming the service provides a free openvpn, most seem to use pptp. You might want to check which one. If it is pptp, you need network-manager-pptp.

Again assuming openvpn from the need for entering a gateway, you will then click your networking icon, select Manage Connections, and go from there to add a new VPN connection. There you will add the info you got from the provider. After that it works like connecting to a wireless access point in the Network Manager widget.

All I will say about free vpn providers is that they are crap, yucky, and generally no good. Depending on why you want to use one makes the awfulness of most free ones worse or better

Comment

Hi, thank you for answers, I want to use VPN to surf internet anonymously, for example to visit facebook (or any other site) with other IP address. similar like using proxies, just proxies can be honeypot so I like to try VPN.

when I go to package Muon manager in Kubuntu, it is written that network-manager-pptp is installed.

yesterday I tried PPTP and again no success, here is video of desktop screenshot, you can tell me where I make mistake, video shows that there are the same parameters from website and in my vpn network interface: http://s619.photobucket.com/user/glo...b9c71.mp4.html

VPN Type: PPTP VPN
        Encryption: Enabled (or Auto)
        VPN Server: superfreevpn.com
        VPN Username: ***REMOVED-BY-ADMIN***
        VPN Password: ***REMOVED-BY-ADMIN***

I tried also to allow port 1723 if it is forbiden but it didn't help me anything:

debian@debian:~$ iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1723 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

debian@debian:~$ sudo iptables --append INPUT --protocol 47 --jump ACCEPT

debian@debian:~$ sudo iptables --append INPUT --protocol tcp --match tcp --destination-port 1723 --jump ACCEPT
        Last edited by SteveRiley; May 11, 2013, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I think you will need to get help from the forum at that site. You shouldn't need anything related to OpenVPN to use a PPTP-based VPN service. You also don't need to write any iptables rules.

Like Claydoh said, those free services are all pretty much junk. If your primary goal is to remain anonymous while using Facebook, I would suggest you reconsider your goals. It is not possible to use Facebook anonymously. Once you log in, they know who you are. Your source IP address is irrelevant.

Comment

Agree 100% with SteveRiley. But if you want to keep trying it, do try their forum. The longest thread is one called "Doesn't work" Having said that, what you need to do is make sure the password is correct, as it changes regularly , and make sure you follow the setup directions: enable encryption (set this in the 'advanced' section when setting up the vpn in network manager). I suggest you delete the connections, and re-create one with the correct info, but leave the password blank there, so that you are prompted for it each time you try to connect.I am using it to post this message. It is slow to connect and took a few tries and definitely a slow connection , as advertised.

Comment

Working...
            X