X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"grub install dummy" error during installation [64 bit 13.04]

Hello,
    I'm trying to install 13.04 64 bit but installation fails with "grub install dummy" error. The machine is an HP Elite 7500 MP quad with 16 GB of ram. It comes with W8 pre-installed (which I have to keep, virtualizing it is not an option unfortunately) and 1 TB GPT disk. What I've done is resize the W8 partition to get an half-TB of space to install Linux into, disabled Secure Boot, turned off W8 for good (aka: shutdown command against the normal procedure that in W8 just hibernate the OS) and went installing.

Live session starts, even tough ethernet network does not work, but I hope that it's just a Live glitch. When I try to install, the installer does its thing up to the finalization and then it stops with that ***** error. I googled around but had no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Leo

Hello

Try to boot the dvd in non-efi mode. Look in your BIOS. I learnt that if cdrom is set to "auto" (or even "efi") it can cause boot and also install problems with 3.8.xx kernels. "Non-Efi" mode should work. If everything is ok, install a 3.9.xx mainline kernel. At least it worked for me.
    hth and good luck!
    Regards

Comment

I tried and it concludes the installation. Alas, after rebooting the ugly face of Windows 8 is still there to greet me. Further investigation led me to the conclusion that I have to boot the machine in UEFI mode. If I try to do that, tough, the machine locks up just after grub, tried a few boot options to no avail. The screen goes blank, dvd and disk idle, and it just stays there. It's a pity because this was a test linux installation requested by my boss to evaluate it and now he decided to drop it...

Thanks for trying to help anyway

Originally posted by anamnesis View Post
      Hello

Try to boot the dvd in non-efi mode. Look in your BIOS. I learnt that if cdrom is set to "auto" (or even "efi") it can cause boot and also install problems with 3.8.xx kernels. "Non-Efi" mode should work. If everything is ok, install a 3.9.xx mainline kernel. At least it worked for me.
      hth and good luck!
      Regards

Comment

Working...
      X