This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video problems with install

I have a home built system. The video card is reported by lspci as "NVIDIA Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS] (rev a2)." I run with two monitors, one through the vga port and other through the (I can't remember what it's called) port.

I'm unable to boot to the desktop using the 13.04 install disk, either with CD or USB drive. Left alone, it ends up with a black screen and apparent system crash (can't get to a terminal, must do a hard shutdown). If I add vga=307 to the grub boot line, it gets further - past the KDE boot screen and partway to the desktop. Loads a panel, but no widgets are visible. A hard shutdown is required to get out of this, too.

I've tried with one monitor turned off. Maybe should try with one detached, but it seems like this should just work. Any thoughts?

Irv

Anybody? I tried vga=vesa and still no luck.

Comment

Likely your second monitor/TV is connected to an HDMI port?

I would suggest that you disconnect the second monitor "from the PC" -- disconnect the cable at the PC. Then try installing from the LiveCD again.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

More likely it's a DVI port. IME, dual monitors have no impact at boot time except to show a mirror image of what's on the other screen. I suspect it's an incompatibility with that 8800 GTS card and the new xorg.

When you say "can't get to a terminal" I assume you mean CTRL-ALT-F1 has no effect.

I suggest booting the LiveUSB via the recovery console, do the disk check, then drop into a root shell and attempt to launch X manually. In theory, you should get some error messages on the screen. Likely it will be "no screens found" but try it anyway.

Another idea: burn a liveCD or USB of 12.04 to see if it will boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

First thing I do when I have weird install problems or even problems running the livecd/image is to verify the md5sum to make sure the image file isn't somehow corrupted.

Comment

I'm old-fashioned. I use good media. I check the MD5sum of the downloaded file. And I always use the K3b verification feature. I can't remember the last Coaster I've had.
            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
            X