This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen with cersor AFTER login

This morning I tried to get in my kubuntu 13.04 amd64. Everything was normal until I logged in with my password.
    The window with load icons opened and then... black screen with only my cersor moving. I even heard the sound
    of the OS loading. This happens every time I reboot.
    Could someone help please.
    (execuse my english. I'm Greek)

Would you please perform the following experiment:

1. When you get the black screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a text console.

2. Run the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    3. During the installation, a menu will appear, asking which display manager you want to use. Select KDM.

4. When the installation finishes, run the following:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    5. The graphical login screen will look different this time. However, go ahead and log in. Can you get to your desktop normally now?

Comment

I tried that with terminal from log in screen and I got 'kdm is allready installed and it is the latest version'.
      Sould I try from black screen after log in or its the same thing?

Comment

I tried another work aroun too. I installed xubuntu-desktop from terminal and login with xubuntu session.
        I deleted the kde configuration file from .kde/share/config. Next I loged in in kubuntu and I had the default desktop.
        I rearranged my desktop the way I had it but next time I reboot the black screen was there again.

Comment

Verify that you (still) have kubuntu-desktop installed. From the log in screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in to tty1. The type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          If it does install (wasn't installed), then when it's finished press Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or Ctrl+Alt+F8) to return to the log in screen. Log in.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, kubuntu-desktop is installed

Comment

Alright, return to a text console and run:
              Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
              When the debconf menu appears, choose KDM. Now log out and back in. If your desktop is still black, there's more we can try.

Actually, one other thing. What's the output of:
              Code:
              lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i vga

Comment

Output of: lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i vga

Code:
                01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]
                        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 033e
                        Kernel driver in use: radeon

Comment

I'm trying another aproach.
                  Since the problem seems to be the configuration of my desktop I deleted plasma-desktop-appletsrc
                  again and loged in with the default desktop with no problem. Before the problem started I had made 2 changes.
                  1) placed a panel at the top-center with some shortcut icons of applications,
                  2) changed the default backround image with another image I downloaded from the internet.
                  I desided to go step by step.
                  First I placed the same panel with the icons to the desktop.
                  Until now there is no problem.Every log out or reboot is ok.
                  Tomorrow if nothing happens I will change the desktop image.
                  I'll be back tomorrow with more info.

Comment

Hm. Interesting. I don't imagine I would have thought to check for munged panel config files. Good work.

Comment

Working...
                    X