This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package removal after Kernal update

I've manually updated the Kernel from 3.8.0 to the latest 3.8.11. If I go into software updates five packages are listed as having important security updates: linux-libc-dev and four packages with the 3.8.0-19 ref in their name. What happens if I install these? Will this revert my Kernel to 3.8.0? Should I mark those packages for removal in the Muon Package Manager? Presumably the linux-libc-dev package should not be removed. When I chose the Kernel downloads I chose the latest version of 3.8 rather than 3.9. Is this the best bet for stability?

I'm on AMD 64 bit Raring Ringtail. I had previously manually installed the Catalyst 13.4 Driver for my HD5600 to solve graphics problems. This seemed to solve the graphics problems but I was getting other lock-ups and log outs, hence why I thought I'd try upgrading the Kernel.

No, you will have an extra entry in your grub menus, probably the new official one may become the default as it would be installed last.
    Extra entries would be found in the second grub listing, "Advanced Options for Ubuntu".

One can have many different kernels installed, so there should be no issue, outside of which one is the default.

Comment

Ah Brilliant thanks! Updating the kernel actually seems like one of the easier things to do on Linux. Easier than installing proprietary Graphics drivers and easier than installing uTorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
        and easier than installing uTorrent.
        .......? and what is wrong with Ktorrent ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X