This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with installer

I'm having a problem with the manual disk setup page on the installer. I prefer to use this to set up the disk the way I want it, rather than letting Kubuntu mess up the partitions that I've previously set up. The problem is that I've got the 1 TB disk divided up into 11 partitions, some that are used by Kubuntu exclusively and others that are shared by Kubuntu and a Windoze dual boot. when I get to about partition 9, the installer dies quietly. I used to use the alternate installer, but I see that's no longer available. Now, I don't do any formatting to any of the other partitions, but / and /tmp so can I get away without fussing with them and have then still show up in the fstab and get mounted at boot time later or am I going to have to figure out how to get these into fstab after the fact?

What has this never been fixed in the installer? I've been fighting this problem as long as I've been using Kubuntu (since 7.04).

Thanks
    Bill Lugg

I used to use the alternate installer, but I see that's no longer available...
    I have been using the MinimalCD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

...The Minimal CD uses a text-based installer like the Alternate CD...

What has this never been fixed in the installer? I've been fighting this problem as long as I've been using Kubuntu (since 7.04).
    Is there a bug report ?
    Last edited by Rog131; May 03, 2013, 11:01 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

The minimal ISO lacks the proper configuration to boot a UEFI machine in UEFI mode. If you use it on a UEFI-based machine and:
      • BIOS compatibility mode is on, then the machine will boot into BIOS mode and the install will be for BIOS mode.
      • BIOS compatibility mode is off, then the minimal ISO will not boot the machine

The Server ISO can handle UEFI properly and uses the same Debian text-based installer.

Comment

Originally posted by luggw1 View Post
        I'm having a problem with the manual disk setup page on the installer. I prefer to use this to set up the disk the way I want it, rather than letting Kubuntu mess up the partitions that I've previously set up. The problem is that I've got the 1 TB disk divided up into 11 partitions, some that are used by Kubuntu exclusively and others that are shared by Kubuntu and a Windoze dual boot. when I get to about partition 9, the installer dies quietly. I used to use the alternate installer, but I see that's no longer available. Now, I don't do any formatting to any of the other partitions, but / and /tmp so can I get away without fussing with them and have then still show up in the fstab and get mounted at boot time later or am I going to have to figure out how to get these into fstab after the fact?

Thanks
        Bill Lugg
        Had the exact same problem. Really annoying. It turned what should be a half hour install process into a half day long nightmare. Where does one file bugs about the installer...which package should we file a bug against?

Comment

Originally posted by luggw1 View Post

Thanks
          Bill Lugg
          How in the world did you make 11 partitions? LVM or GPT? MBR I think tops out at 5!

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            Had the exact same problem. Really annoying. It turned what should be a half hour install process into a half day long nightmare. Where does one file bugs about the installer...which package should we file a bug against?
            This way:
            Code:
            apport-bug ubiquity-frontend-kde

Comment

How in the world did you make 11 partitions? LVM or GPT? MBR I think tops out at 5!
              I have 13 partitions.

FAQ: How to Partition: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...on-Regenerated -> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

3.3 Primary Partitions

...The original partition table was installed as part of the boot sector and held space for only four partition entries. These partitions are now called primary partitions...

3.4 Logical Partitions

...This is at most 15 partitions total on an SCSI disk and 63 total on an IDE disk...
              Ubiguity

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity
              ...We always need help implementing features and fixing bugs...
              --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity
              ...2869 results...
              - It is good to check the open bugs before reporting the new ones.
              - It is good to inform (and offer a helping hand) the Kubuntu developers at #kubuntu-devel.

Bug reporting etiquette: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
              Last edited by Rog131; May 04, 2013, 02:37 AM.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                I have 13 partitions.

FAQ: How to Partition: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...on-Regenerated -> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

Ubiguity

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity

--> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity

- It is good to check the open bugs before reporting the new ones.
                - It is good to inform (and offer a helping hand) the Kubuntu developers at #kubuntu-devel.

Bug reporting etiquette: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
                I thought he had 11 primary partitions which is something you rarely see. I know it can be done with GPT but I've never seen it. On my one VBox .vdi I have 9 distros buy I only consider it to be 3 partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  I thought he had 11 primary partitions which is something you rarely see. I know it can be done with GPT but I've never seen it.
                  With GPT, the notion of "primary" and "extended" partitions goes away. GPT places no hard-coded limits on the number of partitions. That said, implementations place limits, which can vary. More info: http://superuser.com/questions/30673...tions-with-efi

Comment

Holy crap, look at that list. Sort it by number and see how many are recent:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...by=-id&start=0

And hardly any of them are getting attention:

Comment

Well, I solved my problem by reducing the number of partitions below the threshold. I merged four partitions that I am not currently using into a single partition - seems to make more sense anyway. It doesn't really fix the problem with the installer, but gets me up and running.

Thanks for listening. It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing problems.
                      Bill Lugg

Comment

AFAIK: You can have 63 partitions on a non-GPT disk. Although I can't imagine why. I've hit 12 once in the past. Now with btrfs I have zero.

Please Read Me

Comment

There seems to be no universal consensus for the maximum number of GPT partitions. It appears to be at least OS- and disk-specific, possibly even more criteria. For instance, mine can apparently support 128 partitions:

Code:
                          steve@t520:~$ [B]sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda[/B]
                          GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5 

Partition table scan: 
                            MBR: protective 
                            BSD: not present 
                            APM: not present 
                            GPT: present 

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
                          Disk /dev/sda: 500118192 sectors, 238.5 GiB
                          Logical sector size: 512 bytes
                          Disk identifier (GUID): C570F626-E7B6-450A-A88A-C26479D3487E
                          [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Partition table holds up to 128 entries[/COLOR][/B]
                          First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 500118158
                          Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
                          Total free space is 13 sectors (6.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
                             1              40         1048615   512.0 MiB   EF00  
                             2         1048616       252708863   120.0 GiB   8300  
                             3       252708864       481296423   109.0 GiB   8300  
                             4       481296424       500118151   9.0 GiB     8200
                          Code:
                          steve@t520:~$ [B]sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda[/B]
                          ATA device, with non-removable media
                                  Model Number:       M4-CT256M4SSD2 
                                  Serial Number:      000000001140031E608A
                                  Firmware Revision:  0009 
                                  Transport:          Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
                          Standards:
                                  Used: unknown (minor revision code 0x0028) 
                                  Supported: 9 8 7 6 5 
                                  Likely used: 9
                          Configuration:
                                  Logical         max     current
                                  cylinders       16383   65535
                                  heads           16      1
                                  sectors/track   63      63
                                  --
                                  CHS current addressable sectors:   16515009
                                  LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
                                  LBA48  user addressable sectors:  500118192
                                  Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
                                  Physical Sector size:                   512 bytes
                                  Logical Sector-0 offset:                  0 bytes
                                  device size with M = 1024*1024:      244198 MBytes
                                  device size with M = 1000*1000:      256060 MBytes (256 GB)
                                  cache/buffer size  = unknown
                                  Form Factor: 2.5 inch
                                  Nominal Media Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
                          Code:
                          steve@t520:~$ [B]uname -a[/B]
                          Linux t520 3.9.1-030901-generic #201305080210 SMP Wed May 8 06:11:43 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

steve@t520:~$ [B]lsb_release -a[/B]
                          No LSB modules are available.
                          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                          Description:    Ubuntu 13.04
                          Release:        13.04
                          Codename:       raring

Comment

Depends on how you work and what you're doing.
                            Attached Files
                            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

You have an MBR drive, on which you've created three primary partitions and one extended partition. The extended partition is type of container for additional partitions. This is pretty common for MBR disks.

With GPT, the concepts of "primary" and "extended" disappear. You simply have partitions.

Comment

Working...
                              X