This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB 3 ... reads as usb 2.01 in Kinfo

I am not sure if this is just a typographical error, but I just bought an external WD 2tb MyBook Essential USB3 hard drive (came with the cord marked as usb3 compliant). When I hooked it up to my computer it runs with no problem, but in Kinfo it reads as UBS 2.01. I tried the USB 2.0 ports, and there it reads as USB 2.00. I haven't had a chance to test a massive data transfer to capture the actual transfer speed, but I am curious if this is a typo and I'll get 3.0 speeds, if ringtail doesn't include USB3 compatibility, or if there is something with the interaction of my specific laptop (details below) with Kubuntu Raring Ringrtail. I will eventually perform a mass transfer to test the speed, but I have a lot of sorting to do first, now that I have the space.

Toshiba Satellite L870D
    AMD A10-4600M Quad core w/ Radeon HD 7660G
    16Gb ddr3 1600 (PC12800)

I am having the same problem in kubuntu 13.10

Comment

EHCI is USB2.0
      xHCI is USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, USB 2.0 Low-, Full-, and High-speed, USB 1.1 Low- and Full-speed
      OHCI is USB1.1 or Open Standard Firewire

What does Kinfo say your external drive is connected to?

I should point out that Kinfo says my keyboard is connected to an OHCI controller. It's a USB1.1 keyboard, connected to a USB2.0 powered hub, plugged into a USB3.0 port. My gamepad is connected to an EHCI controller, but it's plugged into the same powered hub.
      Last edited by Buddlespit; Sep 28, 2013, 08:27 PM.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

My external hd is usb 3

see the pictures:

Comment

Hmmm... Interesting. Mine doesn't do that... Mine changes the controller. Well, then that brings me to either your cable or your extHDD being the culprit. Is your HDD case powered?

OK, I actually looked at your pictures and I noticed that it's the actual controller showing USB2.0. So I looked on my system and one of my xHCI ports is listed as USB2.0 and the other is listed as USB3.0.
          Last edited by Buddlespit; Sep 29, 2013, 09:40 AM.
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

"So I looked on my system and one of my xHCI ports is listed as USB2.0 and the other is listed as USB3.0."
            for compatibility must be.

"then that brings me to either your cable or your extHDD being the culprit"

can be. is quite possible that it is
            * unfortunately at the moment I do not have another device to test usb3.

sorry for the bad english. I am using a translator.

Thank you.
            Rodrigo Hernandes

Comment

No es nada. A USB3.0 Me gustaría tener para probar. Interesante es este.

Un traductor que se puede utilizar si mi gramática que puede excusar. Más fácil sería?

Comment

Working...
              X