Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the empty desktop and panel on a clean install as well, both with my main pc and test VM's. I put it down to my dual monitor setup confusing it but maybe it wasn't.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1180400

Vote please.

Please Read Me

Comment

IMO maybe its just me or the bug is fixed today, I Installed windows 8 with fresh install (lazy to upgrade windows 7) and took off Ubuntu and came back to Kubuntu (my roots hheeh where all started ) Anyway saw this thread of all the problems u guys had with Kubuntu and maybe just me, but mine is working as a charm, no problems anywhere found yet...And found everything quite mor solid actually. No crushes yet.

PS:
        Anyone found a good way to integrate dropbox to kubuntu, like Kfilebox?? but that updated for the new KDE?? or have to stick with default dropbox....dont want to mix up qt and gtk....
        Last edited by kiraitachi; May 15, 2013, 05:27 PM. Reason: Kfilebox

Comment

http://www.maketecheasier.com/instal...ntu/2010/12/24

EDIT: Sorry! Wrong link! Try this one instead:

http://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx

Works perfectly here.

Thanks Steve, for pointing that out.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; May 16, 2013, 08:05 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

KFileBox hasn't been updated for over a year. Last time I tried it on 12.04, it croaked. Is anyone here using successfully on a recent release?

Comment

A fix for this has been placed in raring-proposed. Please see Launchpad bug 1174689 for details on how to enable that repository and test the fix. It appears to be specific to nVidia graphics and dual screen setups.

Oshun, I've added you to the mail subscription for that bug.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                http://www.maketecheasier.com/instal...ntu/2010/12/24

EDIT: Sorry! Wrong link! Try this one instead:

http://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx

Works perfectly here.

Thanks Steve, for pointing that out.
                Hahah, yeah I knew that too, what I meant is that if there is a dropbox with kde dependencies built or I have to go with gtk...since I've used Kfilebox earlier (wich is dropbox with kde but on earlies releases since is not updated anymore).

By the way SteveRiley I found that kfilebox has been update to a new version, in his main webpage is announced the 0.4.7 version wich is old but if u go to sourceforge you can find 0.4.9

Here you have the link, Im using it actually right now with no problems at all.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdro...filebox-0.4.9/

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi View Post
                  Here you have the link, Im using it actually right now with no problems at all.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdro...filebox-0.4.9/
                  Which one are you using... 10.10, 11.04, or 11.10?

Comment

Originally posted by clickwir View Post
                    Maybe I got the wrong ISO or something (I didn't, I made sure to md5sum and sha1sum check it), but after a fresh installation I'm greeted with a desktop that I can't call useable. No icons, no menus to find applications. A panel with nothing useful, just an Activity Manager icon? WTF is this, this doesn't get me anywhere useful. How am I supposed to run an application with that? No time, volume, network or any of the typical useful icons I'd think would just be basic UI.

I found an option that says it'll add a default panel, it's on the top of the screen. Ok, so I have to remove both panels (the crap "default" one and the new "what should be default" one that's somewhat useful) and then add back the "what should be default" panel. Why's it called default if it looks and functions very differently from the first panel we are presented with?

Boot up, I remember the past several releases of (K)Ubuntu getting slicker and more of a quality feel to the boot up process. Now I'm seeing text flying by with messages about what services started and failed. Functional, sure but it's really a disappointment in quality.

I've been using Kubuntu for a few years now and this fresh install feels like RedHat circa 1999. There is no way I could possibly recommend Kubuntu, with this desktop UI experience, for anyone that hasn't already been using KDE for years. They'd be lost, confused and completely turned off of Linux.
                    KDE is crap and you will find after using it for a little while (if you ever get it working) that Kubuntu has tons of bugs. I tried for over 10 minutes trying to use dd and format a usb stick to no avail. So, to test, I booted up my Windows 7 install and formatted the stick to FAT32 in under a minute.

KDE and Kubuntu = overrated.

I think the KDE partition manager program or whatever KDE decided to call that POS is yet more software that KDE puts out that sucks. KDE has gotten considerably worse since 3.5 starting with the atrocity that was 4. Now, it's so bloated and buggy, it's worth looking at another DE.

EDIT: P.S.
                    I just took a glance at the other sections for 13.04. Constant problems and people having trouble. But, mods and regulars can't accept constructive criticism not to mention accurate criticism.
                    Last edited by kdeputer; May 19, 2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
                      KDE is crap and you will find after using it for a little while (if you ever get it working) that Kubuntu has tons of bugs. I tried for over 10 minutes trying to use dd and format a usb stick to no avail. So, to test, I booted up my Windows 7 install and formatted the stick to FAT32 in under a minute.
                      Wow -- VERY informative -- thanks a lot! The 20 KDE developers who contribute code monthly, for a software suite in its fourth major iteration, and under continuous development since 1996, can't even get that FAMOUS KDE TOOL, "dd", to work correctly, even in the hands of such an experienced expert! Thank God there was a MS Windows platform handy, with which to prove the conclusion about KDE!
                      Last edited by dibl; May 19, 2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

KDE and Kubuntu = overrated.

I think the KDE partition manager program or whatever KDE decided to call that POS is yet more software that KDE puts out that sucks. KDE has gotten considerably worse since 3.5 starting with the atrocity that was 4. Now, it's so bloated and buggy, it's worth looking at another DE.

EDIT: P.S.
                        I just took a glance at the other sections for 13.04. Constant problems and people having trouble. But, mods and regulars can't accept constructive criticism not to mention accurate criticism.

Then why are you still here? Honestly, why?

Sorry folks, I know the rule about feeding 'em, but you know...

Comment

But, mods and regulars can't accept constructive criticism not to mention accurate criticism.
                          Rather than spouting off with hyperbolic bloviations, how about providing a few concise examples of where valid criticism was offered and rejected?

Comment

My 12.04.x upgraded to KDE 4.10.3 and kernel 3.9.x is currently doing fairly well. If you do have a crash the .dbg package for the program that's being named as the cause will, as noted above, give a decent backtrace. With the correct info it usually doesn't take long to fix things. It may already be fixed.
                            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Did both a fresh install and upgrade on my 2 computers. Some glitches but minor stuff that I sorted out with some searches. After that is has been fairly smooth and the last set of patches have put to rest the several problems with video for me. Both installed off a USB created under Linux. I even got my Chess960/FRC working fairly quick.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X