This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this seriously what's shipping?

Maybe I got the wrong ISO or something (I didn't, I made sure to md5sum and sha1sum check it), but after a fresh installation I'm greeted with a desktop that I can't call useable. No icons, no menus to find applications. A panel with nothing useful, just an Activity Manager icon? WTF is this, this doesn't get me anywhere useful. How am I supposed to run an application with that? No time, volume, network or any of the typical useful icons I'd think would just be basic UI.

I found an option that says it'll add a default panel, it's on the top of the screen. Ok, so I have to remove both panels (the crap "default" one and the new "what should be default" one that's somewhat useful) and then add back the "what should be default" panel. Why's it called default if it looks and functions very differently from the first panel we are presented with?

Boot up, I remember the past several releases of (K)Ubuntu getting slicker and more of a quality feel to the boot up process. Now I'm seeing text flying by with messages about what services started and failed. Functional, sure but it's really a disappointment in quality.

I've been using Kubuntu for a few years now and this fresh install feels like RedHat circa 1999. There is no way I could possibly recommend Kubuntu, with this desktop UI experience, for anyone that hasn't already been using KDE for years. They'd be lost, confused and completely turned off of Linux.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Humm ,,,sounds disappointing , but I will refrain from commenting untill I do an install myself on the testing partition later tonight to see what I see.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My uptime is less than 1 hour and I've already seen the Crash Reporting Assistant 4 times. Each time, "This report does not contain enough information for the developers" So, there's a system in place to let someone know there was a problem, but not enough of a problem to actually report. Great, I don't know if it's the same thing 4 times or something new. Something should goto someone who does know. Simply saying "something happened but we aren't going to tell anyone" is a disappointment.
      https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

Originally posted by clickwir View Post
        My uptime is less than 1 hour and I've already seen the Crash Reporting Assistant 4 times. Each time, "This report does not contain enough information for the developers" So, there's a system in place to let someone know there was a problem, but not enough of a problem to actually report. Great, I don't know if it's the same thing 4 times or something new. Something should goto someone who does know. Simply saying "something happened but we aren't going to tell anyone" is a disappointment.
        the crash reporter usualy tells you what crashed ,,,,,then you install the .dbg package for the offending program and get a useful back trace the next time it crashes ....the .dbg packages for all programs are not installed by default as that would add meny Mib's/Gig to the install .iso and most people do not want them anyway.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by clickwir View Post
          Maybe I got the wrong ISO or something (I didn't, I made sure to md5sum and sha1sum check it), but after a fresh installation I'm greeted with a desktop that I can't call useable. No icons, no menus to find applications. A panel with nothing useful, just an Activity Manager icon? WTF is this, this doesn't get me anywhere useful. How am I supposed to run an application with that? No time, volume, network or any of the typical useful icons I'd think would just be basic UI.

I found an option that says it'll add a default panel, it's on the top of the screen. Ok, so I have to remove both panels (the crap "default" one and the new "what should be default" one that's somewhat useful) and then add back the "what should be default" panel. Why's it called default if it looks and functions very differently from the first panel we are presented with?
          I have not installed yet ,,,,,,,,,but I must say what you discribe hear is just what I got when I booted up the live usb , a blank panel .........adding a default one gave me the panel you would expect , but would a new user know this ,,,,,I dought it ??

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I installed RR yesterday. I was pleased the installation went smoothly and only took 15 minutes from a USB stick.
            Attached Files

Comment

Did they fix Ubiquity yet? This is the second release (10.10 being the other) where Ubiquity simply does not work on my system. BTW, I'm not using some off-brand or obscure laptop; it's a home built desktop with an Asus mobo and high-end but not unusual hardware. It should be one of the easier systems to install to, IMO.

I am running 13.04 from an upgraded 12.10 install. It's the only way I could get it installed (three weeks ago).

Please Read Me

Comment

There have been several reports the first version(s) of 13.04 are bad behaving during or after first boot.
                I would not complain too much about what is obvious a non-intended error but instead read through the various solutions offered.
                Or just wait a few days until these issues are fixed.

Disappointing, shouldn't happen, Yes.
                Kubuntu has gone under, NO.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Did they fix Ubiquity yet?
                  I think that's a lost cause...

Comment

A follow up note: I just added a new user and got the same result as the OP - an empty panel excepting the activities widget. Took about 30 seconds to add in the system tray, clock, task switcher and lancelot but still, aren't they supposed to be there by default?

In my case, it's an 13.04 install upgraded from 12.10.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hm. Does your upgraded computer have the package kubuntu-settings-desktop?

Comment

Same here. Was greeted by a desktop with no panel.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Hm. Does your upgraded computer have the package kubuntu-settings-desktop?
                          Code:
                          stuart@office:~$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-settings-desktop
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree       
                          Reading state information... Done
                          kubuntu-settings-desktop is already the newest version.
                          kubuntu-settings-desktop set to manually installed.
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded
                          Yup.
                          Last edited by oshunluvr; May 02, 2013, 08:53 PM. Reason: smart-assed remark

Please Read Me

Comment

I haven't seen this myself, or else I'd do it. So would someone please file a bug:
                            Code:
                            apport-bug kubuntu-desktop
                            Let Apport gather its stuff and open a page to Launchpad. Then describe the problem. Reply here with the bug number, and everyone experiencing this should go vote for the bug.

Comment

Oh wow, I saw this thread, grabbed a 13.04 .iso. Wow, what's going on with Kubuntu? Problems after upgrade are expected (especially with anything based off Ubuntu) but on a fresh install I have never seen this. Hmm, everything improved with a dist-upgrade and then deleting all my plasma things and adding them back. Still having a few random, intermittent crashes. I'm trying to track down the particular cause but I can't nail anything.

Do any of our local sages have a clue?

Comment

Working...
                              X