This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flawless upgrades to 13.04

On both of my laptops, running 12.10 w/KDE 4.10.2 (one 64-bit; the other 32-bit), I successfully upgraded to 13.04 without any issues at all. Nice. :cool:
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Same here on both the laptop and iMac desktop.
    I even got the aluminum Apple bluetooth keyboard working perfectly which i never managed before. I use that with the laptop when it is hooked up to my TV, nice and small for the coffe table.
    I am still looking for an app for my Samsung tablet to work as an remote for my laptop. Tried a few without success so far.
    Kudos to the developers !
    sigpic

Comment

Yes indeed. My do-release-upgrade ran without a hitch. Even all my PPAs got updated, too. Smoooooooooooth.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
        Same here on both the laptop and iMac desktop.
        I even got the aluminum Apple bluetooth keyboard working perfectly which i never managed before. I use that with the laptop when it is hooked up to my TV, nice and small for the coffe table.
        I am still looking for an app for my Samsung tablet to work as an remote for my laptop. Tried a few without success so far.
        Kudos to the developers !
        I use x11vnc and androidvnc to do that. Works pretty good. You can use team viewer but its not Foss and it pulls in a bunch of gtk crud and is simply a windows port with custom wine packaging.

My install did not go so well. For some reason I got a grub rescue prompt on reboot after install and before that I got the old familiar hang during the 2nd or 3rd step of the install.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
        PSU: Corsair 520HX
        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
          I use x11vnc and androidvnc to do that. Works pretty good. You can use team viewer but its not Foss and it pulls in a bunch of gtk crud and is simply a windows port with custom wine packaging.

My install did not go so well. For some reason I got a grub rescue prompt on reboot after install and before that I got the old familiar hang during the 2nd or 3rd step of the install.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
          Similar experience here. The new installer is junk. It crashed a dozen times on me before I got it to work. I dont know why theyre using it....its slow, clunky, and with half the options of the old installer. Anyway, I finally fought my way through an entire install only to be greeted by a grub rescue prompt. After nearly 6 hours of messing around with partitions I gave up and went back to the drawing board. More installer crashes. I really miss the old text based installers... I finally got a bootable install at around 8 tonight (started this whole ordeal just after lunch) but then HDMI was all messed up due to a kernel problem. A couple new kernels and four Nvidia drivers later I finally have a working system again. Jesus...that was hell.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            I really miss the old text based installers...
            Use the Ubuntu Server ISO. When it's done, get Kubuntu in one easy step:
            Code:
            sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Use the Ubuntu Server ISO. When it's done, get Kubuntu in one easy step:
              Code:
              sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop
              I did that with my last install and it left me with some unresolvable issues. A couple times the whole system crashed because I had purged all the server stuff and something was looking for it...it didnt seem to like that. I also had network connection problems on startup and could never get plymouth to work right.

Comment

Hmm... I wonder which purged bits were causing the problem.

The Server ISO doesn't install Network Manager, so one of the important things to remember when doing this is to comment out (or remove) any references to "real" NICs in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
                # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
                # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]#[/COLOR] auto eth0
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]#[/COLOR] iface eth0 inet dhcp
                Another possible source of the problem is that the task definition might be missing some packages. I've seen this before. An alternate approach to using tasksel would be:

Code:
                sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

A friend of mine upgraded a couple of days ago and he had sound issues afterwards (alsamixer missing). That wasn't enough to discourage me and today I thought I'd dive in myself!
                  I had an almost flawless upgrade. Plasma seems to freeze from time to time, but I had that before the upgrade. Firefox hang a couple of times, I read it's a common issue - switched to Chromium, working fine so far. Pager had for some reason changed its settings to having just 1 desktop, I set it back to my preferred two.
                  That's about it.

Comment

I got a notice saying there was a new version, clicked upgrade and waited a while.

And then stone the crows I rebooted and it just worked. I haven't had to fix anything.

Weird, huh?
                    --
                    Intocabile

Comment

Well, the "no sound" thing eventually got me after the second reboot. I googled a bit and found out it's a problem shared by most Ubuntu 13.04 flavors. I did a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure" for alsa and pulseaudio, then "alsa force-reload", restarted and sound was back. Luckily this was easy to fix.

Comment

Glad some people aren't having issues. I've been runing Kubuntu for a long time (since Drapper), but this time my upgrade ran into a major annoyance after the install (but I know the issue I ran into is *NOT* Kubuntu specific and I'm able to work around it). Still, issue not with standing, it's looking to me like it's a great release.

Comment

I just upgraded my wife's laptop from 12.04 to 13.04. The only thing wrong I notice is it still tells me to do "do-release-upgrade" to upgrade, even though I'm running 13.04 there.

Code:
                          Welcome to Ubuntu 13.04 (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-21-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

5 packages can be updated.
                          0 updates are security updates.

New release '13.04' available.
                          Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

Last login: Sun May 19 08:59:51 2013

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm noticing the same thing. Wonder what it's reading incorrectly.

Comment

Even Dedoimedo is impressed !
                              http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/k...-ringtail.html
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X