This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wary of installing Raring

HI, I burned a DVD and setup a usb (have done both many times before). When I restart my laptop and either boot from DVD of USB all I get is a screen with two little icons at the bottom shoing for a few seconds, then the screen gos black and all activity halts.

Could the iso be at fault?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Don't know, I've been running it for about a month now and it was nice and stable, when I wanted to boot up 15 mins ago it ended in a black screen, tried repeatedly so for the time being I booted to 12.10.
    Something must have happened since the last few updates last night..

Comment

Now I've successfully booted using the previous kernel, 3.8.0-18 and checking for updates.
      It can't be the registry...

Anyhow, after 9 updates it reboots as it should...

Sorry to Fintan for abusing/hijacking his thread!

To make clear what I intended to say, my install including last nights upgrades was failing to boot to log in.
      After today's updates it does boot up.
      Last edited by Teunis; Apr 26, 2013, 09:38 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Had that happen the first time then rebooted and it worked fine....

Comment

My installation went OK as I used Startup Disc Creator to make a bootable USB. What surprised me was the installation process which said that I was using a pre-release version. After the installation, I did update and dist-upgrade and there were updates from kernel 3.8.0-12 to 3.8.0-19 and KDE 4.10.1 to 4.10.2.

From this I got the impression that the release disc was still work in progress. So, next week I plan to try another download and installation to see if it is more polished.

Comment

No problem Teunis and thanks for the comments Teunis, Wrender and Noworries.

It really does look like the "release" ISO is still being worked on. This si not the first time. The last beta worked fine from USB and DVD. NOt sure I understand this a release should be a RELEASE! Oh well I'll try again with the bnightly builds and see what happens. I don't want to do a upgrade just to find out I have top trinstall 12.10.

Cheers
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This is a problem with distros that release to a date and not when it is ready.

Comment

I agree it should not happen a release is weaker than the last beta it's based on.
                It should/could at least have come with kernel -18, -12 is in this light ancient and should have been replaced weeks ago.
                We know *ubuntu release come frequent and have the most updates early in the cycle, a sure sign even after release there's always work to be found...

Did you do the install using the option to include on-line updates during the install?

Comment

Okay guys, I used todays "daily" and it installed and updated nicely. Little bit of a problem with the Firefox search bar not working, but it seams to be a FF issue. Will be looking into that.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    I agree it should not happen a release is weaker than the last beta it's based on.
                    It should/could at least have come with kernel -18, -12 is in this light ancient and should have been replaced weeks ago.
                    We know *ubuntu release come frequent and have the most updates early in the cycle, a sure sign even after release there's always work to be found...

Did you do the install using the option to include on-line updates during the install?
                    Yes, I did include the on-line updates as well as the third-party option. During the install I noticed that it was downloading from the internet. After the install, I launched muon and selected the Canonical Partners option before I did the upgrade . . . .

I was testing this new release on a separate PC before changing all my system over. I will wait untill I see the iso change date and size before having another go.

Comment

I must have missed the bad part. My 12.04.x was current yesterday afternoon when I imaged it. Updated to KDE 4.10.3 and kernel 3.9.0-030900-generic. And am very happy. As for having to reinstall if things go badly as mentioned, it can happen sometimes. I have backups on different External HD Drives.
                      Make an Image before doing anything and that Image will save your bu(( more times than you would believe. And when it's not needed it's a great 'I've got this covered' feeling. Always do the check to make sure that the Image you just made is usable to do a Restore. The option is default if using the 'Beginner' mode.
                      I have Images of an installed and upgraded 12.04, one of yesterday before upgrading, one of yesterday after upgrading.
                      Upgraded 12.04.x to KDE 4.10.3.
                      Upgraded the result to kernel 3.9.x
                      Imaged the drive.

It takes about 15 minutes or so to make a compressed Image using Clonezilla or PartedMagic.
                      About the same to restore. We're talking a / of about 25 GB and a /home of about 48 GB. 2 GB SWAP.
                      You can do the same for partitions if you need to. I have a disk with 14 partitions so I use that feature a lot. I really hate having to download and install 250 GB or so of updates more than once. Not to mention that data is backed up at the same time.
                      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                      X