Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Firefox (with good, KDE dialogues and so on)

Originally posted by wrender View Post
    For anyone who needs it quickly here is the commands to have a proper firefox install for Kubuntu...
    Nice! Thanks! There is a "but", though. I recently tried that concrete method and I saw my system trying to download
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates/main firefox amd64 21.0+build2-0ubuntu0.13.04.2 [25,8 MB]
    that is to say, Firefox 21 (Gtk based build), instead of Firefox (KDE based build).

Let's note that init was written
    firefox 20.0+build1-0ubuntu2~ppa1~raring1 (Newer version available)
    with that "Newer version available" warning.

In other words, when I executed those lines
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox firefox-kde-support
    it tried to install Firefox 21 (Gtk based build).

I started again, but first I executed the other parts.
    In other words, what I executed was
    echo -e 'Package: *' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
    echo -e 'Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
    echo -e 'Pin-Priority: 1000' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null

sudo apt-get update
    and then it worked as expected.
    It installed Firefox 20 (KDE based build, with good, KDE dialogues and so on), even if Firefox 21 (Gtk based build) existed.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 19, 2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Interesting...

I should mention that you have to open the package manager and remove all the default Ubuntu Firefox packages before you install the BlueShell KDE Firefox...

Comment

@Ganton, once you add the ppa you do not have to add it again as long as you do not remove the ppa files(I forgot the command off hand, ppa-purge I think). What you explained is normal. If you do not pin the firefox ppa first, it grabs the GTK build because it is newer then the GTK build. This is how apt is designed to work. Even the firefox installer seems to install the GTK build in my experience.
        Last edited by Xplorer4x4; May 19, 2013, 01:40 PM.
        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
        PSU: Corsair 520HX
        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

ps. Just got the Firefox 21 update and it is smooth sweet and buttery.

Comment

Hi everyone, I've just uploaded FF 22 for Raring / Quantal ( Going to upload Precise in a bit ). Let me know here if anything goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
              Hi everyone, I've just uploaded FF 22 for Raring / Quantal ( Going to upload Precise in a bit ). Let me know here if anything goes wrong.
              Firefox 22 for Kubuntu 13.04 (raring) works well here. Thanks!

Comment

Blue Shell's FF 22 for 12.04 Precise is working fine on my box. Thanks for all the hard work, guys!
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                  Thanks!

For anyone who needs it quickly here is the commands to have a proper firefox install for Kubuntu with Java, Vlc and Flash pluggin

sudo apt-get update

echo -e 'Package: *' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
                  echo -e 'Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
                  echo -e 'Pin-Priority: 1000' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null

sudo apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc

sudo apt-get install default-jre icedtea-plugin

sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-plugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                  The last line sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-plugin adobe-flash-properties-kde its wrong?
                  Rob

Comment

Why do you think it's wrong?

Comment

Its spits out an error saying unable to locate package.

Sorry should have added more detail!
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
                        The last line sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-plugin adobe-flash-properties-kde its wrong?
                        That's because you have the package name wrong. Type:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                        and you will be good to go.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you!
                          Rob

Comment

I have FireFox installed from just a repository and it runs great. What's the deal with the KDE integration? Does it just make it look blue KDE? Or does it add some functionality?

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                            Agreed. Having Java in your browser is roughly equivalent to going out, leaving your house unlocked, then posting an ad on Craigslist stating your address and saying "House clearance! Come and help yourself!".

If you must have Java in your browser, use Firefox with the NoScript add-on, then use it to whitelist only those sites that you wish to allow Java applets to run from.
                            What about Flash? I had heard it can also be dangerous. Is that true even for a Linux PC?
                            Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Jul 15, 2013, 03:12 AM.
                            Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                            ================================

Comment

Flash can be. Usually it's recommended to keep the latest version installed.
                              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

I have FireFox installed from just a repository and it runs great. What's the deal with the KDE integration? Does it just make it look blue KDE? Or does it add some functionality?
                                We can see in http://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde the improvements:
                                filedialog + mimetypes
                                The file dialog is much better than the Gtk one. Also, the mime types are just necessary for us.

What about Flash? I had heard it can also be dangerous. Is that true even for a Linux PC?
                                Yes, with Firefox you can delete a file of yours, for example. So, a Flash vulnerability can cause data deletion, or corruption. Firefox users can use Flashblock ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/ ), it also... stops those damned jumping Flash ads! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X