X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VNC Black screen Kubuntu 12.04

Hi.
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem which is driving me crazy.

I had perfectly ok VNC connection over the internet to a kubuntu 12.04 computer running KRFB until I did two things-

1 I added a second user account on the server machine.
    2 I set KRFB to autostart through the system settings gui.

KRFB autostarted ok and the vnc viewer claimed to have a connection (desktop name followed by :0 )but the viewer screen was totally black . I removed the autostart and tried manually (allowing plenty of time for startup)but still no picture.
    I tried other viewers (both from Linux and windows vista) -same result- connection but no picture.
    I installed x11vnc on the host machine and it too gives me a black screen. When I replaced the Kubuntu box with a Windows XP computer VNC worked fine so I dont think it is a basic network issue.(using default port 5900).
    This is a simple VNC connection without SSH etc.

I have been unable to find much info on the web(except that the server may be trying to look at root) Is there some way of returning the VNC server to its original setup. Any help would be appreciated

Hello Geoff,

I have had similar issues in the past with VNC and the causes can be many. Without more specific information regarding your configuration, it is hard to point to one thing as being the issue. However, there is a very good group of suggestions for troubleshooting this issue at: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...screen-103360/ which I have found helpful in the past. You may want to review it when you have a moment.

Secondly, though not necessarily related to your immediate issue, I'll put in a plug for Xrdp. I switched from vnc to Xrdp a while back and prefer it over vnc. The distro version seems buggy and hasn't worked in a while for me. (This seems due to the distro version having configuration issues caused by differences on various hardware systems.) However, there is a very good version which seems to work which you can download and compile available from scarygliders.net. If you have an interest in that area, you might give it a look.

cheers,
    Bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
    X