This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SilverLight for netflix desktop

As of yesterday netflix desktop no longer plays video due to a new Silvelight update. I am running kubuntu 12.10, how do you update silverlight manually?

MINE NO LONGER WORKS EITHER, AFTER A FORCED UPDATE.

It works on my Quad Core computer. It works better on a new build, but I am currently having problems with that machine. Something that might interest you is that my new build is an 8 core AMD processor with 16gb of very fast RAM. When the new build was working, I played Netflix and it played perfectly with no interruptions in play. I put the plazmoids that provide memory usage onscreen and noticed that on my 8 Core, 63% of the CPU was working all the time. I also noticed that almost 4GB of RAM was being used. I did not have anything else running, so the Linux Netflix application must be a very big memory hog. I don't mind, because I prefer the perfect play and have lots of processor and memory, but my AMD Quad with 4gb of RAM couldn't keep up with the Netflix application and showed something like perhaps buffer overruns from time to time. I got used to it, but it is much better with the faster machine.

I think you just have to remove your current Netflix application, reboot and reinstall it again. It sounds like something happened to your current installation. I am not sure about this, but it isn't that difficult to reinstall. Hope this helps. It doesn't seem like too many people have experience with Netflix. By the way, before you do that, open a Konsole and type in sudo dpkg --configure -a that might repair the broken application, if it is in fact broken. Doesn't always work, but is worth a try before reinstalling. Cudos friend.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Apr 13, 2013, 11:35 AM. Reason: Update screwed up mine too, now.

Comment

This worked for me. If you have other Wine applications installed in addition to netflix-desktop, you'll want to backup ~/.wine/* and~/.wine-browser/* before removing anything! Caveat emptor.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge netflix-desktop

rm -rf ~/.wine-browser/

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
      edit: And here's a fix for having to rerun the above commands repeatedly:
      Code:
      wine .wine-browser/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe
      go to menus Tools, Options, Advanced, Update tab, and disable automatic updates.
      Last edited by oldos2er; Apr 25, 2013, 03:41 PM. Reason: added info
      He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Comment

Originally posted by oldos2er View Post
        This worked for me. If you have other Wine applications installed in addition to netflix-desktop, you'll want to backup ~/.wine/* and~/.wine-browser/* before removing anything! Caveat emptor.
        Code:
        sudo apt-get purge netflix-desktop

rm -rf ~/.wine-browser/

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
        Thanks for the help. I am old and Netflix is a companion for me, that voice in the background. You and all at the forum are most appreciated.

Comment

See my edited post above, added a fix to stop it asking to upgrade silverlight. Hope this works for you!
          He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Comment

you can also just (with out having to purge netflix-desktop)
            Code:
            rm -rf ~/.wine-browser
            or do it with dolphin (highlight it and shift+delete)then launch netflix (it will rebuild the wine-browser)start a show/movie and right click the video window>click silverlight and the settings window for silverlight will come up , on the updates tab check never .........done

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X