This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimp 2.8 toolbox weirdness

I often have my Gimp running with other windows, especially Gwenview. In that case, ctl-tab does not show the toolbox if it lost behind other windows, so the only somewhat convenient way to get it in front is to type ctl-B. But then I often get the toolbox with the tools so widely spaced at the top that it is useless, as half the tools are invisible. So I exit the toolbox and type ctl-B to bring up a new one. But it comes up very thin -- 2 tools wide -- and when I widen it, the tool options are missing at the bottom.

I know how to get them back by dragging them into the lower part of the toolbox after opening them in Windows > Dockable dialogs. But that is a pain.

Why is this happening and why can't I get the toolbox to come up with the options each time? I can find no way of saving this option.

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I'm not sure I understand the problem. It sounds as you are running it in multi-window mode? Have you tried single window mode?

Windows > single-window mode

b.r

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using Gimp 2.8 in Full Window mode. I just opened the program to look at it in replying to this thread, it opened fine. Then I came back to this screen (Alt-Tab), went back to Gimp and only the first 12 tools are now visible. If I re-size the dock, it usually ends up lining the tools single file down the left side with many of them not visible as it goes down past the bottom of the page. I think there is a bug in the code. I can't figure out how to get it correct other than saving everything, closing the program and re-opening it (and praying) Sometimes it is correct. ( I just did that with it before finishing this post, although I had no open project, it came up correct when I re-opened it). The only way I've found to work around this is to use the tools menu and pull them up from there. (not a very easy way to work, but I'm not that savvy with Gimp, the reason I've been working with it, was to improve my knowledge and skill set.

Comment

Jonas, I took a look at the single-window mode. I guess that would resolve the issue. But the program should continue to work (the way it did before) anyway. Tak, anyway.

I agree with timinphx1 that this is almost certainly a bug. There are a number of changes in Gimp 2.8, some of which I do not like at all, especially having to "export" to jpg or png instead of just saving. Whatever gave them the idea of splitting that command off from the other one?
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Gimp 2.8 toolbox weirdness.

I thought I should post a screenshot, to maybe show the problem better. So I attached it to this post. Sorry but I had to scale it down to meet the forums requirements. I still think you can get the idea.
          Attached Files

Comment

I now see just the same thing as timinphx1. So the single-window mode has the problem too.

Doesn't anyone aside from timinphx1 and myself see this problem? It's enough to bring up Gimp in multiple-window mode, to kill the toolbox and then recall it with ctl-B.

Comment

I have the same problem . Does anyone know if updating to 2.8.4 solves the problem?

Comment

Same problem here.. does anybody have solutions yet?

Comment

This might depend on Edit>Preferences>Window Management>Window Manager Hints>Hints for Other Docks ?
                  I haven't tested this @here yet.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to help.

What I want is for the toolbox to ALWAYS come up with the tool options showing on the bottom. Previous versions of Gimp did this. Recently, they do not and it is a real pain in the you-know-perfectly-well-what to be obliged to go through clicking on Windows > Dockable dialogues > Tool options and then dragging the tool options over to the lower part of the toolbox. Why was it changed?

For me, it is a big bug.

Comment

I am not sure I understand "at the bottom", but, running gimp 2.9.1, once set it is happy to open looking like this every time:

Comment

By "at the bottom", I mean that the tool options are missing from the lower part of the toolbox.

I prefer the multi-window version, as it allows me to increase the percentage of the photo somewhat higher.

I gather, dibl, you are using the single-window mode. I will have another look at that tomorrow morning to see if I can live with it.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

No, this is multi-windows. I can play with the shape of the toolbox, and then close gimp, and when I re-open it, the last-saved shape is what comes up:

Comment

Working...
                          X