Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have BIOS -- the firmware in my T520 is UEFI. UEFI firmwares provide configuration menus very much like BIOS.

(Yes, I'm aware that I'm being pedantic here. )

Comment

No, not pedantic. Well. I don't have UEFI firmware on my laptop and my bois doesn't have any settings for grafic cards to choose from.

So far my 13.10 install is nice and quiet. I am just noticing a delay when I boot into the desktop. My folder view widgets take ages to fill up and kwin generally feels a bit slower than on the 13.04 install (KDE 4.11.2). Applications take longer to load and react. I'll try turning switcheroo off again and see if it makes a difference. I have already tried renaming everything plasma in .kde but that didn't help.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My boot time has increased a few seconds -- the time from after-password to full-desktop is a bit longer. I'm not noticing any overall slowness, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          It's a configuration option in the firmware menu. The T520 offers three choices:

* Integrated -- Intel graphics
          * Discrete -- nVidia graphics
          * Optimus -- switchable graphics

I selected the second one. The firmware hides the Intel graphics completely in this mode.
          See that's the thing. This and Radeon Integrated + Radeon discrete are the the only hybrid graphics systems I've ever seen. I know that Intel integrated + Radeon discrete does exists and there are ways of working with it but because it's so rare I've just never learnt to do so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            My boot time has increased a few seconds -- the time from after-password to full-desktop is a bit longer. I'm not noticing any overall slowness, though.
            I had the same. Slower on boot, but otherwise no difference - until readahead kick in. Now boot is exactly the same as before installing nvidia drivers.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
            X