This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another NVIDIA Driver headache

Well, I was trying to install the proper NVIDIA graphics card driver on my box till I couldn't go any further because of some weird error message it keeps throwing at my face every single time I think I managed to solve my issue.

Extracted from the nvidia-installer-log file found in /var/log/

Code:
    ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/include/linux/kernel.h' does
           not exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source
           path '/usr/include/linux' is incorrect.  Please make sure you have
           installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are
           properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you
           have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know
           the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the
           kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
    As a summary it says it cannot find this file /usr/include/linux/kernel.h even if the locate command tells me such a file does exist and I do find it there while browsing that linux folder via Dolphin.

This is as close as I have come to finally install the drivers since wine stop working due to an unresolved issue with nouveau drivers.

What am I doing wrong here?

Another nvidia driver package told me which one was the correct one to be installed on my system, so this one is the right package and this kind of issue's been resolved. Then what's going on here?

EDIT

Somehow I managed to go further in the driver installation process but now I'm getting another kind of error...

Code:
    ERROR: The kernel header file
           '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-25/include/linux/version.h' does not
           exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files
           in '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-25' have not been configured.
    I know what it means but how am I supposed to configure it? What should I do now?
    Last edited by kyonides; Jan 10, 2013, 02:29 PM. Reason: Not going anywhere
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
    Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win / & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Please show the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep linux-headers

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Please show the output of
      Code:
      dpkg -l | grep linux-headers
      Here is its output:

Code:
      # dpkg -l | grep linux-headers
      ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-35                            3.2.0-35.55                                     Header files related to Linux kernel version 3.2.0
      ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-35-generic                    3.2.0-35.55                                     Linux kernel headers for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
      ii  linux-headers-3.5.0-21                            3.5.0-21.32~precise1                            Header files related to Linux kernel version 3.5.0
      ii  linux-headers-3.5.0-21-generic                    3.5.0-21.32~precise1                            Linux kernel headers for version 3.5.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
      Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

Well, the first column of a dpkg output indicates package state, and would have listed something different if the packages weren't properly configured.

Which kernel have you booted? Run:
        Code:
        uname -a
        and reply with the output.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Well, the first column of a dpkg output indicates package state, and would have listed something different if the packages weren't properly configured.

Which kernel have you booted? Run:
          Code:
          uname -a
          and reply with the output.
          This is the output you requested. Besides the current kernel version running on my system and some minor details what do both outputs tell you? Is there something I'm missing?

Code:
          $ uname -a
          Linux kurshesde 3.5.0-21-generic #32~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 13 20:30:13 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
          BTW, I tried installing the driver after booting my box with the 3.20 kernel version and then with the other one but it didn't make any difference.
          Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

Hm. uname -a tells me you're booting kernel 3.5.0-21. In reviewing your previous response, I see that you have the header files (required for compiling the nVidia drivers) for 3.5.0-21 and 3.2.0-35. But the error in your first message indicates that the installer is trying to locate 3.2.0-25.

What's the output of
            Code:
            dpkg -l | grep linux-image

ls -al /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/*/nvidia

ls -al /lib/modules/*/updates/dkms
            Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 01, 2013, 02:46 AM.

Comment

I'd like to know which nvidia driver package you're trying to install and the method of installation.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X