Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded it and listen to in Audacious and was 90% noisy. Listen to it in VLC and Clementine and was just fine. Think Audacious doesn't stream 24bps FLAC.
    I also played my 24bps FLAC encoded file in all: Audacious, VLC, Clementine, and Kafeine, and in all sound was 90% noisy. This time must be FLAC.
    Think I'll stop here for today. Thank you all for your opinions and help.
    Last edited by aria; Dec 12, 2012, 10:04 PM.
    aria

Comment

just a random thought here: if the CDs you have aren't sticking to the CD standard 16 bit resolution, maybe they also aren't sticking to the CD standard 44.1 KHz sample rate either... in which case you should get better results by setting the FLAC encoding parameters to exactly match the parameters of the disc.

For example, I have heard of EACDs (Extended Audio CDs) being recorded at 20 or 24 bits per sample, with sample rates of 48 KHz or even 96 KHz.
      Last edited by HalationEffect; Dec 13, 2012, 07:22 AM.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Tested suggested settings:
        --sample-rate=48000 ... --bps=24
        and also:
        --sample-rate=96000 ... --bps=24
        Files were encoded, but impossible to listen to: 90% noise & 10% music, with some speed alteration too. Tried Audacious and VLC, both with same results.

Edited:
        Also tried the setting:
        --sample-rate=48000 ... --bps=16
        File encoded and could be listen to: 100% music, no noise at all. But strange things happen: tonality moved up, like from C (Do, Ut) to F (Fa).

At this point, I think I'll go back to defaults. Even --best doesn't save more than 0.2MiB on a 10min track, but heats up the CPU/GPU 4C more (and much more for a complete CD encoding). If FLAC is loss-less at any compression level, --best doesn't seem to bring any advantage.

Thank you all,
        Last edited by aria; Dec 13, 2012, 06:09 PM.
        aria

Comment

After all setting trials (see my post above), I went back to FLAC's defaults. No significant memory gain between -5 and -8, but CPU/GPU works cooler in -5. All these at the same loss-less quality, makes defaults settings most desirable.

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions,
          Last edited by aria; Dec 18, 2012, 11:35 PM.
          aria

Comment

Working...
          X