X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual screen - kwin - windows not workin

Hello there,

This is my first post on this forum...

Wierd title because I have a wierd problem.

I'am mostly using my acer at work where it is connected to a screen with hdmi.
    I have hard time confirguring the second screen with the 1900x1200 resolution. But once it is working, I just save the configuration as default and everything works fine after.

How ever, when I unplug the screen and reboot, some windows take a while to open.
    For instance, chromium is working well but if I need to download a document, it will take like 10 min to open the folder list, where I want to save the document.
    Dolphin and Gwenwview will also take a very long time to open. The system settings windows have no problem !

I'am using the intergrated graphic controler from Intel :

Code:
    grep Chipset /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [    32.838] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
    [    32.842] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Arrandale
    [    32.842] (--) intel(0): Chipset: "Arrandale"
    and

Code:
    lspci -v | grep -A 12 VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 040e
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 41
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: i915
            Kernel modules: i915

00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
            Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 040e

Hi @RENNO and welcome to KFN

I dont "think" your prob is with the Intel integrated graphic controller as I have the same diver in use on a core I3 and don't experience the problem you are describing.

you say "I have hard time configuring the second screen" , what do you mean exactly , and how do you resolve it.

when you disconnect it how are you going about it , you should be using the system settings>display and monitor settings to disconnect it .

you may be experiencing a totally different problem than display related .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you for your help,

To answer your first question, to configure the first time, I go to "system settings--> display and Monitor. Then configure the 2 screen. Usually, the resolution is wrong. I then set up the monitor position as "above LVDS1 as my Primary output. The things is that I need to do this several time, logout and then log in before it is really as I want. I think it is not working write until I save it as Default et then logout.

For the second question, I switch off the computer with the 2 screens (properly), then unplug the monitor. Go home and switch it on.
      And here the problems start

Hope this could help.

Comment

Vinnywright,

Your post gave me a good clue.
        I was with the monitor connected, when to the Display and monitor settings, disabled the monitor, unplung the monitor and reboot my computer.
        Everything was working well.
        This workaround is good for me. Thanf you

Comment

Originally posted by RENOO View Post
          Vinnywright,

Your post gave me a good clue.
          I was with the monitor connected, when to the Display and monitor settings, disabled the monitor, unplung the monitor and reboot my computer.
          Everything was working well.
          This workaround is good for me. Thanf you
          yes you should not start the computer with the HDMI cord connected either as it will set both screens as "clones" of each other and you will probably have bad resolutions on both.

start your computer first ,,,log in ,,,,then plug in the HDMI and configure the second screen ,,,,,,,

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X