Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permissions error with "Kfilebox/Dropbox" and GPU drivers after "sudo chown -Rv..."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permissions error with "Kfilebox/Dropbox" and GPU drivers after "sudo chown -Rv..."

So, I was having a problem with Kde Menu Editor: it wasn't saving. I tried to open it using the console to see the errors and there was one that finished with "...is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0." I searched for a solution, found this topic: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...stead-of-uid-0 and followed claydoh's solution:

Code:
    sudo chown -Rv username:username /home/username
    The result was: after I reboot, my resolution was 640x480 with no possibility to increase it, so I saw that the GPU drivers were deactivated/not installed. After several tries I got my screen to the normal resolution and with the GPU driver installed.

I got another problem, and this one I can't solve whatever I do: I'm getting permission erros when I try to install dropbox using kfilebox:

Here's the dropbox_erroryObQrl.txt file:
    Code:
    pid:	3567
    ppid:	1
    uid:	1000
    user_info:	('thebigheadedone', 'x', 1000, 1000, 'Raphael Barros,,,', '/home/thebigheadedone', '/bin/bash')
    effective_user_info:	('thebigheadedone', 'x', 1000, 1000, 'Raphael Barros,,,', '/home/thebigheadedone', '/bin/bash')
    euid:	1000
    gid:	1000
    egid:	1000
    group_info:	('thebigheadedone', 'x', 1000, [])
    effective_group_info:	('thebigheadedone', 'x', 1000, [])
    appdata:	u'/home/thebigheadedone/.dropbox'
    real_path=u'/home/thebigheadedone/.dropbox'
    	mode=040700	uid=1000	gid=1000
    parent	mode=040755	uid=1000	gid=1000
    dropbox_path:	u'/home/thebigheadedone/Dropbox'
    real_path=u'/home/thebigheadedone/Dropbox'
    	mode=040700	uid=0	gid=0
    parent	mode=040755	uid=1000	gid=1000
    HOME:	/home/thebigheadedone
    tempdir:	'/tmp'
    real_path='/tmp'
    	mode=041777	uid=0	gid=0
    parent	mode=040755	uid=0	gid=0
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "core/authenticate.py", line 659, in authentication_thread
      File "core/authenticate.py", line 71, in handle_register
      File "core/databases.py", line 722, in load_dropbox_filecache
      File "core/file_cache.py", line 850, in __init__
      File "core/file_cache.py", line 833, in _create_connhub
    Exception: Not a valid FileCache file
    I tried to reinstall, delete the .dropbox and .dropbox-dist from my home folder and then reinstall and there's always a problem:

Or dropbox doesn't install due to the permission erros.
    or it installs, but don't sync with the right folders (or doesn't sync at all) and when I try to open the Dropbox folder by clicking on the dropbox icon or selecting "Open Dropbox Folder", it doesn't open using dolphin, but firefox.
    or the same as above, but with kfilebox crash:

Code:
    Application: kfilebox (kfilebox), signal: Aborted
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
    [KCrash Handler]
    #6  0x00007fc57fb8d425 in raise () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #7  0x00007fc57fb90b8b in abort () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #8  0x00007fc57fbcb39e in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #9  0x00007fc57fc61807 in __fortify_fail () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #10 0x00007fc57fc60700 in __chk_fail () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #11 0x00007fc57fc617be in __fdelt_warn () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #12 0x00007fc580a9a4d4 in QProcessPrivate::waitForStarted (this=<optimized out>, msecs=500) at io/qprocess_unix.cpp:1038
    #13 0x00000000004107eb in ?? ()
    #14 0x0000000000412227 in ?? ()
    #15 0x000000000040c2dd in ?? ()
    #16 0x000000000040ac58 in ?? ()
    #17 0x00007fc57fb7876d in __libc_start_main () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #18 0x000000000040a999 in ?? ()
    #19 0x00007fff9808b6b8 in ?? ()
    #20 0x000000000000001c in ?? ()
    #21 0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
    #22 0x00007fff9808d94e in ?? ()
    #23 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
    So, what can I do?

Thx in advance
    Last edited by The Big Headed One; Nov 05, 2012, 09:13 PM.

did you acualy type that code line verbatim ,,,,as in " username:username /home/username" ?

if so you dident change anything for you the user!!
    the corect way is to change "username"(all of them) to YOUR user name .

if I am correct in my assumption please tell ,,,,if not sory for assuming

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I changed it for my username :P

I found out another thing: The permission error disappears when I open kfilebox using kdesudo and the dropbox finishes it's installation (which it's ok, but not working as before, when I didn't need this :{ ), and it still uses firefox instead of dolphin when I select the option "Open Dropbox Folder" or just click the icon :/

*when I don't use kdesudo, it tries to install/setup dropbox again everytime and the permission erros appears.

Comment

Also...note that KFileBox appears to be abanoned, as it hasn't been updated since 11.04. So it's probably rather difficult to predict how it should behave on 12.04.

Comment

It was working correctly before the "sudo chown -Rv username:username /home/username" command.
          Is there any better alternative to get dropbox to work in KDE without using Nautilus? I really need it for my work

Comment

Code:
            ls -la /home/username
            Does that give the correct user name and permissions?

Also, you can run the dropbox daemon without running (or installing) Nautilus as this is what kfilebox effectively does, and there is a dolphin plugin for dropbox as well.
            Last edited by james147; Nov 06, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Don't run kfilebox, etc with kdesudo, there is no use in doing so for anything with a gui that doesn't do system admin things. You might try shutting down dropbox and kfilebox, deleting your ~/.dropbox and ~/.dropbox-dist and moving or renaming your existing dropbox folder temporarily. Run kfilebox again without kdesudo (or sudo) to see if running the initial configuration steps work.

Comment

If you follow the command-line version of the installation instructions, you can use Dropbox without installing Nautilus. I've set mine up this way.

Comment

@james147
                  There were a lot of entries, but I think these are the important ones:

Code:
                  drwx------  3 thebigheadedone thebigheadedone     4096 Nov  6 23:04 .dropbox
                  drwx------  6 root            root                4096 Nov  6 00:51 Dropbox
                  drwxr-xr-x  4 thebigheadedone thebigheadedone     4096 Oct 18 20:19 .dropbox-dist

@claydoh, SteveRiley
                  I deleted these folders (including the Dropbox folder, which was already empty), uninstalled kfilebox and tried to install the Dropbox daemon via command-line, that's what happened:
                  This error appeared:

Code:
                  (dropbox:2195): Gtk-WARNING **: /home/thebigheadedone/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/liboxygen-gtk.so)

(dropbox:2195): Gtk-WARNING **: /home/thebigheadedone/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/liboxygen-gtk.so)
                  thebigheadedone@thebigheadedone-PC:~$ ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
                  Then, the Dropbox installation window appeared, I tried to install, but the same permission error appeared.
                  Last edited by The Big Headed One; Nov 07, 2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Code:
                    drwx------  6 root            root                4096 Nov  6 00:51 Dropbox
                    Thats not right... toy should not have root owned files in your home directory (this is why you should not run gui applications with sudo).

You should rerun the chown command:
                    Code:
                    sudo chown -R ${USER}:${USER} ${HOME}
                    This should work for all users on kubuntu (bash expands $USER before executing sudo so it wont change everything to the root user, in case you where wondering, if in doubt replace chown with echo to see)
                    Last edited by james147; Nov 07, 2012, 06:11 PM. Reason: Corrected derp

Comment

So it appears the permissions problem is sorted. Indeed, your user account and group, not root:root, should own the Dropbox folder.

Regarding the Gtk-WARNING errors... this is normal. The Dropbox download comes bundled with the library file libstdc++.so.6 compiled for Gtk bindings. It expects a different version of a certain Gtk library than comes shipped with Kubuntu. You can actually delete the file; when you do, the Dropbox UI will instead use the version of libstdc++.so.6 that's included with the operating system. This one cooperates with the Oxygen-Gtk theme, meaning that Dropbox will now look like a KDE application. Yay.

Comment

@james147
                        I needed to change the "USER" for my username right? I did it, but this error appeared:

Code:
                        chown: cannot access `~': No such file or directory
                        Another question, should I do this before installing dropbox, after or it doesn't matter?

@SteveRiley
                        Where is this GTK version of the libstdc++.so.6 lib, can I uninstall it using Muon?

Thank you.

Comment

I think James147 might have mistyped. I suspect James147 meant to type
                          Code:
                          sudo chown -R ${USER}:${USER} /home/${USER}
                          Muon is a package manager; you don't use it to manipulate individual files. To delete the file I mentioned earlier, you can use the command line:
                          Code:
                          rm ~/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6
                          If Dropbox is running, you'll need to stop and restart it to notice the change.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            I think James147 might have mistyped. I suspect James147 meant to type
                            Code:
                            sudo chown -R ${USER}:${USER} /home/${USER}
                            Actually I didn't, ~${USER} points to that users home directory (when expanded properly)... (ie $USER expands to "username" and "~username" expands to "/home/username"). However, bash does not seem to like the double expansion so only expands the $USER part and not the ~username part (both work separately in bash)... I tested this on zsh which didn't have a problem with the double expansion and so I just assumed it would work in bash (yet another reason I love zsh and I can also hit tab to expend things inline before executing the command ).

It is probably better to use $HOME or the above in this case I think I got so carried away with making it error proof that I added an error

Sorry for the confusion.
                            Last edited by james147; Nov 07, 2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Ah-hah! See, I was only using bash, and getting the same error you saw. I've never used zsh before. Interesting bit of difference there. And yeah, $HOME is even better than what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X