X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't unmount DVD from drive

Hi,

I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 on an old Mac G4 Powerbook. Along with the keyboard lighting the eject button appears to be disabled for the disc drive. I tried unmounting from Dolphin but get this error message - Requested operation failed: Error unmounting exited with exit code 1:helper failed with:unmountnly route can unmount UUID=eb8f77ee-e91f-487e-ac8b-86594c825b07 from/

In addition a window pops up listing available devices - hard drive, external drive, DVD..... A message appears here relating to the DVD drive that says - One or more files on this device are open within an application.

The disc inside is the installation disc for Kubuntu Live. I permenantly installed Kubuntu from there. As far as I can see, nothing relevant to the disc is open.

Any help appreciated.

Rob
    Last edited by rob1515; Oct 22, 2012, 07:33 AM.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying after you reboot the dvd is somehow mounted during the bootup? Or are you saying that after the boot, you mount the dvd for some reason and are unable to un-mount it?

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, the dvd drive is being mounted during boot, I think. There is an option to select boot device at the beginning but I'm not selecting cd...

The only reason I can think the eject button is disabled is because the disk is in use.
      Last edited by rob1515; Oct 22, 2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I have noticed an error that appears briefly during boot up. It disappears very quickly and took several boot's to read. It says - error cfan't attach card 'default'. no such file or directory.

I have no idea if this is relevant.

Comment

open a root dolphin (alt+F2 kdesudo dolphin) and try to eject it from their ,,,,right click the drive in the places panel then click eject......but be sure you are running from the HD and not the disk.....if you had set the BIOS to boot from cd/DVD rom first then you may be running from the disk still.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Does the machine not have a physical eject button or manual eject pin-hole?

Please Read Me

Comment

@Vinny - Not sure where I should be pressing alt/f2, but either in or out of Dolphin, it does nothing. I've tried unmounting in Dolphin but just get the errors listed in the OP. I'm definitely booting from HD, no question on that.

@oshunlvr - Yes there is an eject button, top right button on the keyboard. It's been disabled since installing Kubuntu. There's no other manual way of releasing the disc. I don't really know what the errors in OP mean, but it suggests that Kubuntu has disabled the eject button because files on the disc are open in an application. I find this baffling as the disc inside contains the Kubuntu Live installation and I don't have anything running that might use that, unless the permenant version is using it for some reason....

Comment

Try logging out of the desktop and ejecting from the terminal.

ALT-CTRL-F1, log in, then: eject -T

If that doesn't work, then try lsof |grep sr0 ​ and see what's using the disc.

Please Read Me

Comment

eject -T gives me an input/output error

I then tried lsof etc, hit return and it just went back to the original prompt

My version of Kubuntu may be different to yours. I don't press alt, ctrl, f1 for the terminal from the login screen. If I click the shutdown option there's an option to go to console/terminal. From there I logged in had these problems.
                  Last edited by rob1515; Oct 22, 2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rob1515 View Post
                    @Vinny - Not sure where I should be pressing alt/f2,
                    on the keyboard.
                    if you press alt hold it down and press F2 at the same time a run dialogue box will appear at the top of the screen.

if you type "kdesudo dolphin" (without the quotes) in it and press enter you will get a password box ,type in your password and hit enter, now you will get a root dolphin ,,,,,,your error suggests that the cd/DVD drive is owned by root (root is the system and usually you can not do anything with anything owned by root)

Originally posted by rob1515 View Post
                    but either in or out of Dolphin, it does nothing. I've tried unmounting in Dolphin but just get the errors listed in the OP. I'm definitely booting from HD, no question on that.
                    so try it agin with a root dolphin , BUT do NOT do anything else with the root dolphin close it immediately after trying to eject the disk!!!

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for your patience. I managed to get a root dolphin and right clicked the cd drive to unmount. Message appeared - Device is currently busy.: Cannot unmount because file system on device is busy.

Opening root dolphin caused the cd drive to start up. I waited for it to stop but as soon as I click unmount it starts up again and gives the above message.

Comment

I re-booted and tried again from root dolphhin. It worked....!!

Thanks vmuch

Comment

cool

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                          X