X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Gets KDE Support In Firefox Again

Blue Systems To The Rescue

Recently, Blue Systems announced that they were picking up support for the dropped package. This means Kubuntu users who want to use Firefox as their everyday browser can have all the goodness of a fully-integrated web browser integrated reasonably well into their Plasma Desktop experience.

thebluemint.net

Repo:

https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox-kde firefox-kde-support

Comment

Chromium better, I been using Mozilla since there first release, the damn thing crashes too much, Its becoming the IE of Linux.

Comment

I believe you without doubt you have seen Firefox crash until you were sick of it but my experience with quite a few Linux computers is just the opposite, it's plenty solid.
        In other words, the problem you see is not Firefox but something in your install, maybe as simple as using a dubious plugin.

Comment

Lol and chrome/chromium has been until very recently been crashy and crappy for me. It is a good thing there are valid and definitive choices for us, methinks.....

Comment

I'm using Chromium exclusively in 12.04 and I've had no problems with it.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I love firefox too too much. I have all my profiles saved and can move them around from one machine to the other with ease. I probably can do the same with Chromium, but I really don't want to mess with it. And firefox runs on my machines with ease. No problem with any of the three I have running Kubuntu.

Comment

Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde sudo apt-get update
                Then:
                fintan@fintanws2:/home$ sudo apt-get install firefox-kde firefox-kde-support
                Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
                Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
                Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
                E: Paket firefox-kde kann nicht gefunden werden
                fintan@fintanws2:/home$
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

A reported error on the ppa page, firefox-kde does no longer exist
                  It has a different name: firefox-kde-support (or kmozilla-helper)

Comment

I can live with that. So I guess this is a misqoute:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install firefox-kde
                    ?
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes, get firefox-kde-support and make sure you lock the Firefox version from the blue-shell repo, it is still at 15.0 while the main repo's already have 15.0.1 and without the lock it would be overwritten.

Comment

Right.
                        make sure you lock the Firefox version from the blue-shell repo
                        don't have one of those. Neither installed nor in the repo.
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Note: I use Muon for package management.

A strange error Fintan, once you have the blue-shell repository enabled and you have done an update in Muon, selecting firefox and then by selecting Version you should see several versions of firefox available.
                          You should select the one with ppa2 or ppa3 in it's name, they are the KDE-enhanced versions, and then select the 'Force Version' button below.
                          When you now press the Apply Changes button the KDE version should be installed.
                          You can now right-click firefox in Muon and select to lock it, this will prevent overwriting by the slightly newer regular version.

Don't forget you still need to install firefox-kde-support!

Comment

Okay. I still use synaptic. Don't really like muon at the moment.

I'll try muon just to see the difference.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It shouldn't matter which package manager you use, I only mentioned Muon as an example and because I know my way around it.

Comment

Working...
                              X