• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer aspire one 722 wlan0 and suspend bugs

Hello.

Yesterday a bought a brand new Acer aspire one 722 netbook,
    I installed
    , of course, kubuntu 12.04, everything was going perfect until I found my self waiting to power up after suspension, but I found a black screen and nothing happened after 5 eternal minutes, so I turned it off... Another weird thing is that when activating wireless, the system blocks...:eek:

I think that these bugs are associated with the hardware or perhaps the drivers, please, can You help me?

Thanks in advanced.

We need to know what kind of hardware you have and the drivers that get loaded. Please reply with the output of
    Code:
    lspci -k

Comment

The lspci -k output is:
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Complex
      Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0598
      00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290]
      Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
      Kernel modules: fglrx, radeon
      00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
      Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
      Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
      00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
      Kernel driver in use: ahci
      00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
      Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
      00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
      Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
      00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
      00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
      00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)
      Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
      Kernel modules: sp5100_tco, i2c-piix4
      00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
      00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
      00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
      00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
      Kernel driver in use: pcieport
      Kernel modules: shpchp
      00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
      00:15.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
      00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
      00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
      00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
      00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
      Kernel driver in use: k10temp
      Kernel modules: k10temp
      00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
      00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
      00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
      00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
      06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
      Kernel driver in use: atl1c
      Kernel modules: atl1c
      07:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
      Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device 6617
      Kernel driver in use: ath9k
      Kernel modules: ath9k

Comment

Please try the command in this forum post:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post294991

It adds a parameter to the ath9k driver module that is known to fix various power issues with Atheros wireless cards. Let us know whether it works in your case.

Comment

You mean that I have to do:

Please run
          Code:
          sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath5k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"

Right?

Comment

Yup, that is what he means!

Here's why:
            Code:
            ~$ [FONT=courier new][B]modinfo ath5k[/B][/FONT]
            filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko
            license:        Dual BSD/GPL
            description:    Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.
            author:         Nick Kossifidis
            author:         Jiri Slaby
            srcversion:     FA2500C2D3C1A3B6094E37C
            alias:          pci:v0000168Cd0000001Dsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            alias:          pci:v0000168Cd00000207sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            depends:        mac80211,cfg80211,ath
            intree:         Y
            vermagic:       3.2.0-23-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
            parm:           nohwcrypt:Disable hardware encryption. (bool)
            parm:           all_channels:Expose all channels the device can use. (bool)
            parm:           fastchanswitch:Enable fast channel switching for AR2413/AR5413 radios. (bool)
            The "modinfo" command show the details of the kernel module. In the case of the ath5k module there are three user settable parameters. Settings in the /etc/modprobe.d/ conf files are used to adjust the module settings.

You could also experiment with the other to parm settings by adding additional "option" lines to the athk5.conf file.

The list of aliases show the maker and model numbers of the devices that are compatible with the module. My Acer 7739 has the rtl8188ce wireless chip but the closest module for it is the rtl8192ce. Checking with the modinfo command I found the compatible devices to be:
            Code:
            as:          pci:v000010ECd00008176sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008177sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008178sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008191sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
            which doesn't include my 8192ce. But, by adjusting the parms I am able to get adequate performance out of it. Hopefully, when a real 8192ce module comes out I'll get full performance.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 06, 2012, 06:30 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Unfortunately it's still freezing

Comment

Originally posted by ceaualbi View Post
                You mean that I have to do:

Please run
                Code:
                sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath5k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"

Right?
                My apologies. I was typing quick on my phone and omitted a detail. Your kernel module is ath9k, whereas that command references ath5k. So instead, you should run:
                Code:
                sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"
                Reboot, and let us know what happens.

Comment

Mine too! I should have caught that... :eek:

err... BOTH of them.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 07, 2012, 06:54 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It didn't work. Look after rebooting, trying of put the machine in sleep mode. Turned off, etc.

I repeated the command: sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath5k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"

After repeating the process i typed: lspci -k, and I got this output:
                    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Complex
                    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290]
                    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
                    Kernel modules: fglrx, radeon
                    00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
                    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
                    Kernel driver in use: ahci
                    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
                    00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
                    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
                    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
                    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)
                    Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
                    Kernel modules: sp5100_tco, i2c-piix4
                    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
                    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
                    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
                    00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
                    00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
                    00:15.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
                    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
                    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
                    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
                    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
                    Kernel driver in use: k10temp
                    Kernel modules: k10temp
                    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
                    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
                    00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
                    00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
                    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
                    Kernel driver in use: atl1c
                    Kernel modules: atl1c
                    07:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
                    Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device 6617
                    Kernel driver in use: ath9k
                    Kernel modules: ath9k

Using that code:
                    sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"
                    Shouldn't be /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf?

It works only if cable is connected, if not the system gets hanged, blocked, etc.
                    Last edited by ceaualbi; Jan 06, 2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED

Comment

Looks like if I didd't do anithing. Got any idea?

Many thanks.

Comment

Ok, I'll type: sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf"

By the way, are You sure about /etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf? Isn't that too ath9k?

Comment

Actually, it doesn't matter what the name of the file is, because all files in modprobe.d are processed. But yeah, naming it ath9k.conf would be "cleaner." Can't believe I missed that part, too! So sloppy

But I can't tell from your posts -- have you actually tried it with options ath9k? (Note that this was just a suggestion based on what's worked for other folks with Atheros cards in similar situations. I'm not certain if it's an all-the-time, everywhere kind of fix.)

Comment

The correct command is:

sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' >/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf"

which catches both locations where "5" is used. After executing it then delete the unnecessary ath5k.conf file:

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf

and reboot.

The command

lspci -k

doesn't change anything. It merely lists the pci hardware devices on your PC.

You system works when the cable is connected because Network Manager defaults to a cable connection if a cable is hooked up and connected to a router or modem. You can leave the cable it while you boot up. The Network Manager icon in the System tray will show you being connected with "Wired 1", unless you've given it a different name. You can Left click on the Network Management Icon in the system tray and a dialog will appear. It will have two check boxes on it. The first is "Enable Networking" and should already be checked if your cable connection is working. The second one of the check boxes is "Enable Wireless". Click on it. It should stay checked. If it does not stay checked then you must turn on your wireless. On my wife's Acer Aspire 521 the keys "FN + F3" toggle the wireless on and off. If your 722 is like her 521 the fourth little light on the left front edge of the netbook should turn on if the wireless is on.

You can right click on the Network Manager Icon in the system tray and left click on the "Network Management Settings". That will bring up a dialog where you can create a wireless connection, giving it a name, and supplying the essid and password.

Comment

After last kernel update, startup is less traumatic, it's not blocking any more, but it keeps doing the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X