This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    Awesome! You should get in touch with the Kubuntu team with this, they can give pointers and perhaps this can make its way back into Kubuntu!
    I wonder if is possible to do this without having to require you to provide a firefox package in your ppa?
    I would rather receive some feedback before that

I wonder is Suse did it their way for that reason.
    Don't understand what do you mean?

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    An observation, saving a file via right-click is with the KDE dialogue rather sluggish compared to the Gnome one.
    On a directory with 1000's of files KDE needs time to first populate the window with file names before it can save a new one.
    On the positive side it's nice to have the preview option back.
    Opening the dialogue isn't sluggish for me, but yes, with the previews turned on, it can take some time for a directory with large number of files to show up.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't mean a preview in the main window pane, I always run file managers etc. in the detail mode.
      I do mean the preview in the right hand panel, as far as I know it is normally off and needs to be activated each time you want to use it by clicking the small tool icon.
      The computer is a 4-core i7 with 8GB RAM, hardly a slug but nearly 17,000 files might be a bit much to index.

This observation is older than your excellent work, it's just that after several weeks of using the Gnome stuff it was so noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by sumski View Post
        I would rather receive some feedback before that
        You would get great feedback and tips from them, they really are nice folks.

Don't understand what do you mean
        Perhaps suse created a fresh new folder structure as as standalone so that rebuilding Firefox was not necessary? Having to have a separate build of Firefox is extra work that might be avoidable, the Dev team could help with that.

Sent from my phone

Comment

It would be enough to:
          a) Bring back kmozillahelper (maybe to kubuntu update/beta ppa)
          b) Re-enable patches in the debian/patches/series in the firefox build (they are already enabled for lucid/natty/oneiric) (I added a few more, but they aren't crucial for KDE support)

By receiving feedback, i meant from users, ie. are things working, any regression, etc.
          sigpic

Comment

Firefox-KDE appears to be working fine for me!

Have to say after running Debian Squeeze for the last few years, Kubuntu 12.04 is running excellent for me. Couple of small blips in the beginning but really really solid. This after trying just about every other distro out there. Not to mention that KDE 4.8 has to be the nicest looking DM ever.

Comment

Hi guys!
              New build has enabled P.G.O.
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....9/+bug/213708
              https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...fox-pgo-builds
              I've tested amd64 build and haven't, so far, experienced any kind of bug.
              Please let me know if you do, i'll turn it off in the next build.

Also, Firefox 13 is just around the corner, but i haven't seen the release yet.

EDIT:
              Guess it won't build for i386, i'm turning it off
              Last edited by sumski; Jun 02, 2012, 09:42 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you so very much
                You just made Firefox more awsome.

Comment

Well, did some preliminary testing with #13, and things don't look quite good:
                  When trying to open a file, KDE dialog does appear. But one is not able to save anything (no dialog). Also, if one tries to select other than default application for opening files, there's no KDE's "open with...".
                  Will try to apply patches SuSE's way, and report back.
                  Also, if someone wants to test if it's only me, here's the link:
                  https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+archive/test/+files/firefox_13.0%2Bbuild1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1%2BKDE1_amd64.deb

EDIT:
                  Actually, saving sometimes works, sometimes it does not
                  Last edited by sumski; Jun 04, 2012, 01:14 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

OK, sorry for the noise ops:
                    With new build, everything is working fine, and i think i know why!
                    I actually didn't refresh one of the patches. This patch does nothing with KDE integration, it removes right click option to Set image as wallpaper, which does not work on plasma. Part of the patch touches the same code as two integration patches, so that's probably why first build didn't behave.

tl;dr
                    Patches should survive new Firefox release.
                    Last edited by sumski; Jun 04, 2012, 10:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Awesome! You should get in touch with the Kubuntu team with this, they can give pointers and perhaps this can make its way back into Kubuntu!
                      [/URL]
                      Sounds to me like he could give pointers to the Kubuntu team! Actuallly, they just need a maintainer, so if he is willing to maintain this package, he could become part of the Kubuntu team.

Comment

@sumski: thanks for your work on this! I installed your version of Firefox and it is working great. However, installing firefox-kde-support alone did not work. Do you know why? My apt-get install output shows that it installed your package:
                        Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/hrvojes/firefox-kde/ubuntu/ precise/main firefox-kde-support amd64 0.6.2-ppa1 [20.8 kB]
                        Fetched 20.8 kB in 0s (23.8 kB/s)
                        However, after this, Firefox still didn't use KDE dialogs. So I installed your firefox build. Then it worked as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainX View Post
                          Sounds to me like he could give pointers to the Kubuntu team! Actuallly, they just need a maintainer, so if he is willing to maintain this package, he could become part of the Kubuntu team.
                          It is a fair bit more than that, especially as it seems you have to rebuild Firefox on top of finding and fixing what breaks with every new FF before Ubuntu can release the new version of the browser. I don't think maintaining a separate build of that is a good idea, however if the Ubuntu Firefox team can use the help, it would be fantastic boon for us

Comment

@sumski: thanks for your work on this! I installed your version of Firefox and it is working great. However, installing firefox-kde-support alone did not work. Do you know why? My apt-get install output shows that it installed your package:
                            Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/hrvojes/firefox-kde/ubuntu/ precise/main firefox-kde-support amd64 0.6.2-ppa1 [20.8 kB]
                            Fetched 20.8 kB in 0s (23.8 kB/s)
                            However, after this, Firefox still didn't use KDE dialogs. So I installed your firefox build. Then it worked as expected.
                            You need both firefox-kde-support and patched Firefox. Firefox-kde-support was dropped because Firefox for Precise would no longer get KDE patches, so the package got obsolete.

It is a fair bit more than that, especially as it seems you have to rebuild Firefox on top of finding and fixing what breaks with every new FF before Ubuntu can release the new version of the browser. I don't think maintaining a separate build of that is a good idea, however if the Ubuntu Firefox team can use the help, it would be fantastic boon for us
                            I *guess* Firefox maintainer won't/doesn't won't maintain patches after support for Oneiric/Lucid expires, cause, at this time, patches get refreshed all the time for Oneiric and less, they just aren't applied for Precise and Quantal. My guess is, they would rather focus on Unity/GTK integration. Packaging Firefox itself, is enough of a pain.

Also, there is almost a week between tagging and releasing new Firefox version, so there is some time to try fixing potential breakage.
                            Last edited by sumski; Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks sumski. Great work! You solved my biggest problem with KDE.

Comment

Thanks sumski. Great work! You solved my biggest problem with KDE.

I second that! Thanks Again Sumski

Comment

Working...
                                X