X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Languages option missing

Hello friends,
    I am new to kubuntu and am using precise pangolin... I have a small problem in that I cannot find the system languages option in the country/Region & Language tab of system settings. So, everytime I have to install a language, I have to do it in gnome and come back. Can anyone offer me a solution to this problem?

Also when I choose the keyboard input option to another language, I still can only type in english in kubuntu whereas I can type in any language that I prefer in gnome or unity.. Please help me fix this..

Further, in system settings ---> keyboard layout, there is no language support for Tamil language in kubuntu, but it is there in normal gnome based version..

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Thanks again
    Last edited by Guest; May 16, 2012, 04:29 PM.

Welcome to KFN.

System Settings > Locale > System Languages > Install

Pick the ones you want to install.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,
      Thanks for your reply... But, as I mentioned in my previous post, the System Languages option is missing in System Settings > Locale. I do not know how to make it appear... Is it a bug or am I missing the trick here?
      P.S: I also have language-selector for both kde and gnome installed.

Thanks again
      Last edited by Guest; May 17, 2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Hi kingmakerbull,

I encountered the same problem on my computer. It may be related to user privileges. My workaround is to do it as root:

1. Open a terminal window (or hit 'Alt+F2')
        2. Type 'kdesudo systemsettings' and hit 'Enter'
        3. Enter your password

The 'System Settings' window, with root privileges, will open. Go to 'Locale'. You should now see a 'System Languages' icon on the left, beneath 'Country Region/Language' and 'Spell Checker'.
        Last edited by lao_an; Sep 14, 2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X