This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daw67 View Post
    Thanks got it now I was not pressing enter I was press ^X to save and exit twice because I really did not know that I needed to press enter.
    Hm, how did you come to the conclusion that pressing Ctrl+X two times was the way to do that? After one press, nano displays the "Save modified buffer?" prompt and indicates the possible choices: y, n, or Ctrl+C.

I read this and it really did not say to add this to grub but i think it would be needed right? I ask because you say these items are in grub hmm.
    Or do you mean to add the below correct?
    Are all 500 IBM thinkpads the i915 chips or is this just the intel graphics chip? I did try to search it but did not find a good answer.

These items are in /etc/default/grub, between the quotes on the line that begins with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
    • acpi_osi=Linux ... allows the kernel to support some ACPI features that the BIOS would otherwise disable if the BIOS detects Windows isn't running
    • pcie_aspm=force ... enable PCI Express power management forcibly
    • i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 ... Intel graphics power saving render (remove if you experience random hangs)
    • i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 ... Intel graphics frame buffer compression
    • i915.lvds_downclock=1 ... panel downclocking

I see this I am just want things clear about this one If I understand you want me to add these lines at in my case start it after this
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    When I wrote "These items are in /etc/default/grub," I meant that they are in my GRUB after doing power saving research. You'll need to add them to yours.

i915 is the kernel module for Intel graphics. If you have Intel graphics, use these three settings. If you don't have Intel graphics, dont use them. I added a line to my original post to clarify that.

Comment

I Could not find the "(nn nn nn)" in the /etc/default/thinkfan I added the sensor at the start of each line I ran it and got this output back.
      You're looking at the wrong file. The only thing you change in /etc/default/thinkfan is the START line.

Please follow my original instructions exactly. You'll note that the next sequence of steps indicates to open the file /etc/thinkfan.conf. That's where you'll find the group of lines that look like "(nn nn nn)" -- but all the "nn" are actual numbers. Also, when you put sensor at the start of each inserted line, you need to type a space after the word.

Comment

Think I got it now but how do I know i have it running correctly? My HDD seems hoter than before. Last item on the list is the shell script how do I create that file?

what should this line be set at below? seesm like this is needed.

#sensor /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal (0, 10, 15, 2, 10, 5, 0, 3, 0, 3)

main@thinkpad:~$ sudo sensors
        acpitz-virtual-0
        Adapter: Virtual device
        temp1: +43.0°C (crit = +127.0°C)
        temp2: +42.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
        Adapter: ISA adapter
        Core 0: +42.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
        Core 1: +41.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
        fan1: 0 RPM
        temp1: +43.0°C
        temp2: +43.0°C
        temp3: +38.0°C
        temp4: N/A
        temp5: +30.0°C
        temp6: N/A
        temp7: +30.0°C
        temp8: N/A
        temp9: +42.0°C
        temp10: +45.0°C
        temp11: +43.0°C
        temp12: N/A
        temp13: N/A
        temp14: N/A
        temp15: N/A
        temp16: N/A

Comment

I have not performed the shell script as yet. that just automats everything from the post.

main@thinkpad:~$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
          speed: 1903
          level: auto
          commands: level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged, full-speed)
          commands: enable, disable
          commands: watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120 (seconds))

right now

main@thinkpad:~$ sudo sensors -f This is for me I do not know temps unless they are -f
          acpitz-virtual-0
          temp1: +98.6°F (crit = +260.6°F)
          temp2: +95.0°F (crit = +212.0°F)

coretemp-isa-0000
          Core 0: +95.0°F (high = +221.0°F, crit = +221.0°F)
          Core 1: +96.8°F (high = +221.0°F, crit = +221.0°F)

thinkpad-isa-0000
          fan1: 1929 RPM
          temp1: +98.6°F
          temp2: +100.4°F
          temp3: +95.0°F
          temp5: +78.8°F
          temp7: +78.8°F
          temp9: +100.4°F
          temp10: +105.8°F
          temp11: +100.4°F
          temp12: N/A
          temp13: N/A
          temp14: N/A
          temp15: N/A
          temp16: N/A

same without the -f

cpitz-virtual-0
          temp1: +37.0°C (crit = +127.0°C)
          temp2: +35.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
          Core 0: +35.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
          Core 1: +35.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
          fan1: 1938 RPM
          temp1: +37.0°C
          temp2: +38.0°C
          temp3: +35.0°C
          temp5: +26.0°C
          temp7: +26.0°C
          temp9: +38.0°C
          temp10: +41.0°C
          temp11: +37.0°C

I am to worried about the temps or is this a sign that something needs adjusted? My frist linux laptop.

Comment

After testing this for a few days I figured out my system seems to get 10% hot with the about grub modification. So i took it out seems not all thinkpads like this modification. As you said work in progress.
            Last edited by Guest; Jan 01, 2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

One of the things you need to do with ThinkFan is set your temperature limits to whatever your preferences are. The limits are those number groupings in parentheses, and are explained in the comments in the /etc/thinfan.conf file. There are eight fan levels, and you can control when the system should switch from level to level.

I don't like loud fans, so I want the fan to run as quietly as possible. One tradeoff is a slightly warmer system. But I also don't like sweaty palms -- at least not sweaty from my computer, LOL. So I keep the fan at its lowest level possible until the temperature reaches 67 deg C, after which I allow it to rise (and then fall back) relatively quickly. By never letting the fan shut completely down, my laptop remains comfortably cool unless I'm doing something very intensive, like rendering complex graphics or doing a huge source code compile.

These are the temperature control levels I'm using:
              Code:
              (0,	 0,	 1)
              (1,	 1,	67)
              (2,	65,	71)
              (3,	69,	75)
              (4,	73,	79)
              (5,	77,	83)
              (6,	81,	87)
              (7,	85,	32767)
              Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 31, 2014, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I was wondering how did you come by that grub code long years of research?

Comment

What GRUB code?

Comment

Code:
                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1"
                    Grub code is what I called it.

Comment

Ah, you had me confused as well. Those are parameters given to the Linux kernel, not code.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As with most things in Linux (or any kind of endeavor, really), the more time you spend, the more you learn. One of my objectives is to minimize the use of power. These parameters will reduce the amount of power used by the PCIE bus and the Intel graphics components.

Comment

Working...
                        X