X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool find, thanks!

Comment

I got the following output when doing the process. Is it some kind of error ?

Code:
      sudo update-rc.d z-powerlevels defaults
      update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/z-powerlevels missing LSB information
      update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>

Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/z-powerlevels ...
         /etc/rc0.d/K20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc1.d/K20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc6.d/K20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc2.d/S20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc3.d/S20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc4.d/S20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels
         /etc/rc5.d/S20z-powerlevels -> ../init.d/z-powerlevels

kbuildsycoca4 running...
      Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-username" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      And my laptop has Amd's cpu and gpu. So i skipped i915 config in /etc/default/grub . Also skipped thinkfan.

Comment

You can ignore the two warnings from update-rc.d -- Upstart is just griping that it doesn't like the format of the script. But the script runs fine anyway, as you can see from the following Adding system... status messages.

The error from kbuildsycoca4 seems unrelated. I can't think of a reason why kbuildsyscoca4 would run here, since that's a KDE utility that reads .desktop (among other) files to construct the KDE application cache. I think you can ignore it.

Comment

I decieded to try this I think I am not doing something right I did create a thinkfan.conf but i have two which I need to remove one or rename it. I need to create the default thinkfan.conf. which I though I did but do not see it in the /etc/modprobe directory. This part confused me i did this but I am bot sure what it did.

sudo -i
          cd /
          find -iname '*temp*input*' >/tmpin
          exit

Than you asks me to put the contains of the above file in the default/thinkfan.conf
          How do i add the contains of /tmpin to the default/thinkfan config file? Once I create it. See if i can do that without creating two of them.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by daw67 View Post
            I decieded to try this I think I am not doing something right I did create a thinkfan.conf but i have two which I need to remove one or rename it. I need to create the default thinkfan.conf. which I though I did but do not see it in the /etc/modprobe directory.
            There are indeed two thinkfan.conf files. One is /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf and contains the single options line that enables the ThinkFan kernel module. The other is /etc/thinkfan.conf and contains many lines that configure the ThinkFan service.

This part confused me i did this but I am bot sure what it did.

sudo -i
            cd /
            find -iname '*temp*input*' >/tmpin
            exit

Than you asks me to put the contains of the above file in the default/thinkfan.conf
            How do i add the contains of /tmpin to the default/thinkfan config file?
            The file /etc/thinkfan.conf needs to contain some information about the temperature sensors in your laptop. Unfortunately, the naming of these is inconsistent. So the four commands above result in creating a file called /tmpin with a list of discoverable sensors. Often these are only visible to the root account, that's why elevation (using sudo -i) is necessary.

How to add the contents of the file depends on what editor you're using. If you're using nano, after you place the cursor at the indicated location, press Ctrl+R. When prompted for the name of the file to read in, type /tmpin and press Enter.

Once I create it. See if i can do that without creating two of them.
            Like I wrote earlier, you need two thinkfan.conf files. They're located in different directories and they do different things.

Comment

I ran the sensors in the command line to me this looks bad in some areas but my laptop feels only warm not hot here is the output. What are the normal levels for C to F?

$ sensors
              acpitz-virtual-0
              Adapter: Virtual device
              temp1: +37.0°C (crit = +127.0°C)
              temp2: +36.0°C (crit = +100.0°C) ouch

coretemp-isa-0000
              Adapter: ISA adapter
              Core 0: +35.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
              Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C) ouch

thinkpad-isa-0000
              Adapter: ISA adapter
              fan1: 1957 RPM
              temp1: +37.0°C
              temp2: +38.0°C
              temp3: +34.0°C
              temp4: N/A
              temp5: +27.0°C
              temp6: N/A
              temp7: +27.0°C
              temp8: N/A
              temp9: +36.0°C
              temp10: +40.0°C
              temp11: +37.0°C
              temp12: N/A
              temp13: N/A
              temp14: N/A
              temp15: N/A
              temp16: N/A

I looked at both the directories and I have both config files. The /etc/ has thinkfan.conf and thinkfan.conf.save and /etc/modprobe has thinkpad.conf.save and thinkpad.conf.save1 I think I need to remove one how would I do that? I need to do this setup with thinkfan from this output. If you do not think extra files will be an issue than I will try to finish this in the next few days. till I get thing configured I will be keeping this lappy off.

Comment

I ran the sensors in the command line to me this looks bad in some areas but my laptop feels only warm not hot here is the output. What are the normal levels for C to F?
                Your reported temperatures look well within a normal range. For so long as I've been using Linux (since 2009), laptops with Linux have run warmer than with Windows.

I looked at both the directories and I have both config files. The /etc/ has thinkfan.conf and thinkfan.conf.save and /etc/modprobe has thinkpad.conf.save and thinkpad.conf.save1 I think I need to remove one how would I do that?
                I don't know what those ".save" files are -- possibly the editor you're using creates backups? You can delete them like this:
                Code:
                sudo rm [i]name-of-file[/i]
                I need to do this setup with thinkfan from this output. If you do not think extra files will be an issue than I will try to finish this in the next few days. till I get thing configured I will be keeping this lappy off.
                If you follow the instructions exactly as I wrote, ThinkFan will be working for you.

Comment

Thanks Steve

I read the output again, I read the output wrong I saw these
                  Code:
                  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                  . which are the ranges. I did not see
                  Code:
                  Core 0:+35.0°C  Core 1:+36.0°C
                  . Yes, I was thinking after the post. Why if my laptop was that hot why would it not shut down or be hot to the touch which it is not I cannot even hear the fan or fans running. Do I need to install Powertop? I use nano like you did in the post. I will be working on this today
                  Last edited by Guest; Dec 25, 2014, 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling I am sooo bad

Comment

I been saving the files by using ^x to save and and exit is that how I should be saving them?

I know I performed the below code but the line is not added to be in the conf file the how to configure it is all I see.

options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

The thinkfan config files are being an issue I have created one thinkfan.conf in the /etc/ directory which also has a thinkfan.conf.save. The issue is in the /etc/modprobe/ directory I have no thinkfan.conf only two thinkfan.conf.save and save1 files which if i try to remove with sudo rm thinkfan.conf.save no files exists which is not true i can see them in them not from the command line though.

Everytime I use nano I always get issues with files not being saved happen years ago never figured out why. I even searched how to save and still having issues. I still wat to try this but I need to find out why nothing is being saved.

Comment

If you are editing 'root owned' files using nano, you have to launch it with sudo nano, otherwise, it will only open the files in 'read only' mode; you cannot save them.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I been saving the files by using ^x to save and and exit is that how I should be saving them?
                        Yes. Ctrl+X will save changes and exit the editor.

I know I performed the below code but the line is not added to be in the conf file the how to configure it is all I see.

The options line must be in the file /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf file. There should be no other lines in this file.

The thinkfan config files are being an issue I have created one thinkfan.conf in the /etc/ directory which also has a thinkfan.conf.save. The issue is in the /etc/modprobe/ directory I have no thinkfan.conf only two thinkfan.conf.save and save1 files which if i try to remove with sudo rm thinkfan.conf.save no files exists which is not true i can see them in them not from the command line though.
                        There is no /etc/modprobe/ directory. The directory is /etc/modprobe.d -- note the .d. If you're having trouble removing those extra files, you aren't typing the command correctly. This will delete both files:
                        Code:
                        sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf.save /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf.save1
                        Everytime I use nano I always get issues with files not being saved happen years ago never figured out why. I even searched how to save and still having issues. I still wat to try this but I need to find out why nothing is being saved.
                        As Snowhog mentions, you need to use sudo to elevate the privileges of nano when editing system files.

Comment

I missed typed the modprobe.d in my post. I found out what I was missing

/etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf.save1

it should have been

/etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf.save.1

tried this by copy and paste

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf

I edit to add the line

every time nano asks me if I what to save to another file. Does the the sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf create the conf file?
                          Than I edit the file and than save but I always get the thinkfan.conf.save 0_o. what am i missing?

Comment

every time nano asks me if I what to save to another file. Does the the sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf create the conf file?
                            Than I edit the file and than save but I always get the thinkfan.conf.save 0_o. what am i missing?
                            Yes, nano will create a new file and save it if you specifiy a file that doesn't exist.

Here is a step-by-step illustration. I hope this is clear.

1. Start the editor:

2. Type the contents:

3. Press Ctrl+X to save and exit, and answer y when prompted:

4. Observe the correct file name in the prompt and simply press Enter:

5. The editor closes. Use the cat command to verify that the file now exists and has the correct contents:

Comment

Thanks got it now I was not pressing enter I was press ^X to save and exit twice because I really did not know that I needed to press enter.

last question

I read this and it really did not say to add this to grub but i think it would be needed right? I ask because you say these items are in grub hmm.
                              Or do you mean to add the below correct?
                              Are all 500 IBM thinkpads the i915 chips or is this just the intel graphics chip? I did try to search it but did not find a good answer.

These items are in /etc/default/grub, between the quotes on the line that begins with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
                              • acpi_osi=Linux ... allows the kernel to support some ACPI features that the BIOS would otherwise disable if the BIOS detects Windows isn't running
                              • pcie_aspm=force ... enable PCI Express power management forcibly
                              • i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 ... Intel graphics power saving render (remove if you experience random hangs)
                              • i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 ... Intel graphics frame buffer compression
                              • i915.lvds_downclock=1 ... panel downclocking

I see this I am just want things clear about this one If I understand you want me to add these lines at in my case start it after this
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

My GRUB
                              # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
                              # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
                              # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
                              # info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                              GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
                              GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
                              # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
                              # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
                              #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xe fefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
                              #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
                              # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
                              # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
                              #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
                              #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
                              #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
                              #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
                              Last edited by Guest; Dec 26, 2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I Could not find the "(nn nn nn)" in the /etc/default/thinkfan I added the sensor at the start of each line I ran it and got this output back.

this is my /etc/default/thinkfan

# Additional startup parameters
                                DAEMON_ARGS="-q"
                                # Should thinkfan be started automatically on boot?
                                # Only say "yes" when you know what you are doing, have configured
                                # thinkfan correctly for *YOUR* machine and loaded thinkpad_acpi
                                # with fan_control=1 (if you have a ThinkPad).
                                START=yes

sensor/sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp12_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp3_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp13_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp4_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp14_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp5_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp15_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp6_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp16_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp7_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp10_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp8_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp11_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp2_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp9_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
                                sensor/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input

sudo /etc/init.d/thinkfan start

/etc/init.d/thinkfan: 7: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 8: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 9: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp12_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 10: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp3_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 11: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp13_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 12: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp4_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 13: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp14_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 14: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp5_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 15: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp15_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 16: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp6_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 17: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp16_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 18: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp7_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 19: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp10_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 20: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 21: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp8_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 22: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp11_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 23: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp2_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 24: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp9_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 25: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input: not found
                                /etc/init.d/thinkfan: 26: /etc/default/thinkfan: sensor/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input: not found

thinking I need to run the sensors-detect again right?
                                Last edited by Guest; Dec 26, 2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X