X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [solved with recent e2fsck] external usb disk won't mount, error

Originally posted by Telengard
    What's the status of EXT4 on 8.04 Hardy?
    Your kernel would need to be 2.6.28 or higher. It had the first version of Ext4 as a stable file system.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

to deal with ntfs partitions you need either the ntfsprogs or ntfs-3g packages.

the kernel can supposedly READ ntfs, but not write to it (which would include fsck-like functions).

I am not sure which is the more current or comprehensive package; they won't co-install.

ntfs-3g provides the ntfsck program. Can't say I have ever used it, but it's there.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Your kernel would need to be 2.6.28 or higher. It had the first version of Ext4 as a stable file system.
        Code:
        ~$ uname -mrsv
        Linux 2.6.24-30-generic #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 19:21:11 UTC 2011 i686
        ~$ lsb_release -cd
        Description:  Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS
        Codename:    hardy
        ~$ konqueror -v
        Qt: 3.3.8b
        KDE: 3.5.10
        Konqueror: 3.5.10
        I think I'm good to go with EXT4 then, right?

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
        to deal with ntfs partitions you need either the ntfsprogs or ntfs-3g packages.
        Does one of those packages include a tool for testing/repairing NTFS filesystems? My reading so far indicates not. Not terribly important since I plan to make an EXT partition anyway, but it would be nice to know if I'm wrong about that.

EDIT
        [ubuntu] reading ext4 from ext3 - Ubuntu Forums
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
          Linux 2.6.24-30-generic #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 19:21:11 UTC 2011 i686
          I think I'm good to go with EXT4 then, right?
          No. You have kernel 2.6.24
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            No. You have kernel 2.6.24
            I see. I was looking at the 30. I don't know why I don't have kernel 2.6.28 (or higher), nor do I know how to get it. Instead of going down that path (and possibly hosing my system), I'll just leave it as is. Hardy EOL is coming in April anyway.

So EXT3 it will be.

EDIT
            In other news ...

Code:
            $ sudo badblocks -b 4096 -p 2 -c 16384 -s /dev/sdc1
            Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):    476839936/   488378111
            We're about 98% done with the first pass (assuming it is still on the first pass) of the read-only test. It should complete some time tomorrow morning.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Code:
              test$ sudo badblocks -b 4096 -p 2 -c 16384 -s /dev/sdc1
              Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
              Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
              test$
              No errors reported after almost two days of sustained activity. Next time I try something like this I must time it to see how long it actually takes. I have disconnected the drive and powered it down for now. It will be moved reconnected to my 10.04 Lucid machine for partitioning and formatting.

What partition tool to use? parted on 8.04 Hardy can't make EXT3. I know I want to use a recent version of mke2fs. Theodore Ts'o released e2fsprogs 1.42 a couple weeks ago.

Code:
              lsb_release -dc; parted --version; mke2fs -V
              Description:  Ubuntu 11.10
              Codename:    oneric
              parted (GNU parted) 2.3
              (... copyright blah, blah ...)
              mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
                  Using EXT2FS Library version 1.41.14
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I have always used gparted for this kind of thing. Just easier to see what's going on in the gui format. Bear in mind, though, that if you are trying to access it with an older system, the older system may not see ext4, and certainly won't see btrfs, even though those options are available on current systems. If you use a newer system, it should be able to copy from one drive to another, so you could of course copy from ext2 to ext4 using a system that supports ext4.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I've like the Parted Magic Live (USB stick) ever since I found. It uses the latest Gparted, but has other useful tools including the GUI front end for smartmontools.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                    Bear in mind, though, that if you are trying to access it with an older system, the older system may not see ext4
                    That's why I'm using EXT3.

Just thought of something else though. I've always used DOS partition tables even though I know there are other options. Since I no longer maintain any DOS or Win9x machines it doesn't make sense to worry about backward compatibility (they can't see a 2TB partition anyway :P ). Is there something better, or should I stick with what I know?

Grrr ... my Lucid machine won't boot now! Somehow the CMOS has been reset or something
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                    X