Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to log in without physical keyboard ? (touchscreen)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to log in without physical keyboard ? (touchscreen)

Hi,

I have installed Kubuntu 11.10 thanks to Wubi on my slate.
    I do not have any physical keyboard.

How can I log in Kubuntu ?
    Ubuntu proposes a vrtual keyboard but Kubuntu dos not...

Perhaps I am wrong... and I would be happy to be so... :-)

Thank you
    Xavier

Re: How to log in without physical keyboard ? (touchscreen)

I know there are several virtual keyboards available but as this HP touchsmart also sports a regular keyboard I've never tried to set one up for the log in.
    I do remember reading about such a thing being possible, just take a Gnome one if it works for you.

Comment

Package onboard will do it.
      Description-en: Simple On-screen Keyboard
      Simple On-screen Keyboard with macros and easy layout creation.
      See Using an Onscreen Keyboard in Ubuntu
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

As I said, Kubuntu does not propose any virtual keyboard on the login page (Ubuntu does but not Kubuntu...).

Xavier

Comment

Never tried it, but...

* bugfix when started without x running. Confirm working with KDM and --loginhelper option passed (tested in kubuntu)
          http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=94374
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Nope, jpenguin, you're misreading that. 0.4.6 was in the good old KDE 3.5 days; you'll notice that 0.5.99 was the first KDE4 version. But the current version of KDM, ie. KDM4, http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/09/on-screen-keyboard.html?showComment=1315210616558#c615136039 6969789928"]doesn't actually support running something like that[/url]. That's why http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=94374"]the KDE-apps page you linked to[/url] even states up front:

KNOWN ISSUE(see README for full list):
            - Launching Kvkbd with KDM4 doesn't work(and doesn't with any app at all in fact). I've been trying to solve that with the KDM maintainer but we still haven't found a good solution unfortunately.
            So for now, KDM does not support virtual keyboards. For Plasma Active, the http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Tasks#KDM"]current workaround[/url] (and in fact, the design assumption) is auto-login, so they aren't necessarily working on it. KDM is in theory being rewritten in Plasma, however, and if/when that happens that should take care of the issue, but for now, nope.

All that being said, if Ubuntu does have on-screen keyboard login, then why not just install GDM and use the Ubuntu login screen to log into the KDE session? It isn't illegal for Gnome and KDE to mix on a system

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
              All that being said, if Ubuntu does have on-screen keyboard login, then why not just install GDM and use the Ubuntu login screen to log into the KDE session? It isn't illegal for Gnome and KDE to mix on a system
              Dear KetiZG: is there instructions handy on how to do this? do you think this task of installing Gnome inside Kubunut is something a complete newbie can handle? i am pretty much new to linux

Comment

Originally posted by zokich View Post
                Dear KetiZG: is there instructions handy on how to do this? do you think this task of installing Gnome inside Kubunut is something a complete newbie can handle? i am pretty much new to linux
                If you use the package manager (ie. Muon) to install GDM, during installation it'll prompt you for which DM you want to use by default. You can just select GDM then. It'll install some giant swath of dependencies, but that'll all be automatic.

THAT BEING SAID, I posted that a long time ago! These days both KDE and Unity on the Ubuntu side use LightDM, although they use different greeters. And LightDM has the ability to show an on-screen keyboard as far as I know (haven't ever tried).

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
                  THAT BEING SAID, I posted that a long time ago! These days both KDE and Unity on the Ubuntu side use LightDM, although they use different greeters. And LightDM has the ability to show an on-screen keyboard as far as I know (haven't ever tried).
                  You can run kvkbd on KDM as well these days (but like you said, it's been a couple of years since the earlier posts and lightdm is the default on *buntus now)

I don't know about on-screen keyboards on lightdm, though, I still use kdm (I've tried kvkbd on kdm and it works, but isn't the most elegant solution...to put it mildly).

Comment

Working...
                  X