Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Many of us have now spent some time with Muon. Some of us have noticed aspects that could work better or have offered ideas for improvement. I'd like to gather these in one place and then forward them to the developer.

Feel free to reply to this thread with links to messages you've previously posted, or rewrite here, or add something new. Let's strive to keep it civil. I trust we all agree we'd like to see the capabilities we're accustomed to in Synaptic -- plus perhaps even more -- fully integrated into KDE.

Oh -- and be sure to check the announcement of version 1.2.0 on his blog, where he also lists plans for the next version (scroll down to the "The Future"). Some of what we've already asked for is on his to-do.

Thanks everyone!

Re: The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

I was just checking the status of oil rush, And there is a notice it is now available in the ubuntu software centre.
    It shows up under for purchase.
    I had to install the software centre plus all the dependencies as non of this content shows up in muon or synaptic.
    It would be nice if muon also had the for purchase area, There are some nice magazine subs there as well.

Edit.
    Just noticed on a closer reading that it's planned for the future.
    On a side note missed the link in the original post as I always set my font colours to blue.

Comment

Well, you won't have to send the email too far since you can just PM him here

Username is JontheEchidna and his profile says he was logged on here about 20 minutes ago.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
        Well, you won't have to send the email too far since you can just PM him here

Username is JontheEchidna and his profile says he was logged on here about 20 minutes ago.
        Oh! Well, that's good then.

Comment

One thing I have noticed, I select install, and it starts installing, then I start looking for another program, and I have no way of knowing what Moun is doing. So I searched for the program I selected to install, and selected it again, well apparently it was still installing or something ended up crashing Muon. Seems like it would have told me it was still downloading it. Somehow the progress needs to be reported somewhere. I have noticed when it finishes installing it notifies you, often times I'm looking at another program, and it takes me off that screen, and I have to find the program again. I do appreciate Muon, as I started appreciating the Software Center in Ubuntu before Unity kicked in, and kicked me out. So it is off to a good start. I have crashed it a few times too oddly enough, but couldn't report the problem. I think it is a great start though! Thanks.

Shane
          John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

I have a couple of ideas:

- One, already on the to-do list, is to have a dialog for dependencies (like Synaptic). It is just more convenient to see the immediate feedback before clicking Apply.

- Another is to add another filter for the branches (main, universe, multiverse, restricted, etc.).
            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

List the muon package manager along side the "Muon Software Center" in the Kicker Computer tab. Thinking the "Software Center" was all there was to muon gave me a very bad initial impression.

Comment

In Muon 1.2.1 when i add a new ppa the origin filter doesn't refresh until i restart the Muon package manager. I don't id this is a bug.

For the future releases maybe the developer can add a filter to show only KDE and Qt programs for the users that like to be Gtk free.

Sorry for my English.

Comment

Muon failed to install:

1) google earth deb from google site (just stops at "installing dependencies")
                  2) H20 icon theme from kde-look: http://199.91.153.185/v4u1a44u4ccg/j.../H2O+4.6.2.deb (it says "done" but package is NOT installed)

Then:
                  3) Checking "pre-released" updates in software sources works, but when you go back it doesn't let you to uncheck it.
                  Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle
                    Then:
                    3) Checking "pre-released" updates in software sources works, but when you go back it doesn't let you to uncheck it.
                    That's not a bug in Muon but software-properties-kde (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/819793)
                    and will be fixed soon.

Comment

Muon also have problems with installing kernel debs from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I tried to install this kernel http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.0.8-oneiric/ and headers were installed but it was very slow process. When I tried to install linux-image, install button was grayed out so I could not install it.
                      In terminal,
                      Code:
                      sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.0.8-030008-generic_3.0.8-030008.201110250135_i386.deb
                      worked without problems.

So after 2-3 weeks of using muon I can say that it is not production ready. It has big problems at installing debs which are not in official repositories.

Btw, I show great respect for the developer. When he fixes most of these bugs, muon suite will be a really good product.
                      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

New muon bugfix release: http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2...-2-2-released/

Comment

Awesome!
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

First off, Muon is way better than KPackageKit ever was. I'm very impressed. But there are a couple of things I would suggest:

For Muon Package Manager:
                            • As somebody above me mentioned, it would be fantastic to have a dialog window pop up that lists dependencies that will be included when installing a package, just like we have in Synaptic.
                            • It would be nice if it incorporated a feature to retrieve a screenshot of the program (I installed Muon in Natty, and this feature was present. I'm not sure why, but it isn't in Oneiric and Muon 1.2.1.)
                            • In the main list view, it would be nice to have a column for the installed/available version numbers so we don't have to click on the package, and then go to the "Technical Details" tab.
                            • Having some icons/highlight rows a certain color/some sort of visual indication apart from the text under the "Status" and "Requested" columns to indicate the package's current status and requested action would be nice. It would also make it much more visually apparent which packages are already installed and not.

Anyway, that's about it that I can think of for Muon. Mostly cosmetic changes. You may have noticed that most of these changes would make Muon essentially a Synaptic clone. And there's good reason for that; I think Synaptic is a fantastic package manager. :-D

Muon Software Center:
                            The only thing I can really think of for the software center would be a button or option to "show all packages" like there is in the Ubuntu version. Otherwise it's next to useless for me. For example, if I search for "xvkbd", it simply does not show up in Muon Software Center. I have to use the regular Muon Package Manager to find it. I can understand filtering such packages from the results window initially so it doesn't confuse inexperienced users, but I do think there needs to be an option to show them as well. Also, again, having the version numbers listed in the main results window would be nice.

One last thing that I think both Muon Software Center and Muon Package Manager would benefit greatly from is the ability to add repositories with a ppa: address. This is something that I think would be most beneficial to people who are intimidated by a CLI. This way people can add, for example, ppa:libreoffice/ppa using a simple graphical interface that's integrated right into their package manager without having to go through the "Configure Software Sources" tool and enter in the complete APT line manually.

All in all, great job so far! I've only been using Muon for the last month or so, but I'm amazed that I haven't ever heard of it/used it before. It really is a great package manager!

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle
                              Muon failed to install:

1) google earth deb from google site (just stops at "installing dependencies")

Yup, I have this same issue. Worse, once it fails, I cannot close it. I have to manually kill it using killall.
                              Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Working...
                              X