Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Jon would say a guy should click on "Preview Changes" to see what is going to happen once you click Apply, but I agree with you. A separate dialog showing those changes is one feature from Synaptic I definitely like to see in the Muon PM.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

search by name

It'd be nice if Muon could search and install by name. Basically I want to do away with console package installations using apt.

After using Muon for a while I've just become frustrated that it doesn't show MANY of the packages I'm searching for -- as if they don't exist.

Example:
      Try searching for Lancelot, a plasma widget that is the default on many ppl's KDE desktops. Muon can't see it. Yet, call up Konsole and
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-lancelot
      and it'll install without qualms.

Is there some special process to enable searching by name? Or doesn't Muon have access to all the packages that apt does?

Comment

Originally posted by fraser
        Is there some special process to enable searching by name? Or doesn't Muon have access to all the packages that apt does?

You're probably using the "Muon Software Center" - the search mode in that is pretty useless. Try the "Muon Package Manager" which is much closer to being a fully fledged package manager, though it to has a crippled search feature, just not as bad as the Software Center.

Better yet, use synaptic or the cmd line.

Comment

Just today I installed the alpha build of Muon 1.3 from Jonathan's experimental PPA. Sort by name still isn't working the way I suspect most of us would like. I've added a comment to his blog post requesting a setting like "Sort type: alphabetical or relevancy."

Comment

I am done with waiting for muon bugfix update. I installed gdebi-kde and it installs deb files (google chrome deb, kernel deb etc) without problems. Muon just fail to install them.
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

I also have the whole searching for things problem, and installing deb problem. Muon just seems like a alpha/beta, not ready at all

Comment

Another idea would be to add an entry for Muon Updater in the KMenu too
                The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
                  Another idea would be to add an entry for Muon Updater in the KMenu too
                  as i see it the updater should only show up it you have updates. if you want to do anything other then updates the you need to use muon package manager or software center.

can you tell me what your reason is that you wish to have it as a kmenu entry?

one think i did just think of is maybe apon first run of muon it should ask of you perfer the package manager or software center. (with an option to change mode later) . then we could have only one muon entry in the menu . i only say this because i have seen a few new people be confused by why their are two versions.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                    Originally posted by sealbhach
                    tell me exactly what it is going to remove and/or install...I would like to know what they are.
                    Planned for version 1.3. I, for one, am supremely grateful for these new features.
                    Me too!!
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I was thinking maybe have the update manager for just updating the software I currently have installed, though I do have muon-notifier installed as well, or for upgrading to a newer release when I decide to do such. I'd be cool to just fire up the updater, check for updates, then either update or close.

Comment

I'm glad to see that Kubuntu has its own set of package too, which should in the future not make users miss things on the Ubuntu side of things. It's still not there yet though, and as others have said, it sort of behave like it is still at the alpha stage. I had to revert to use the old deb installer, along with installing Ubuntu Software Center, and Synaptic Package Manager. The only one out of the Muon set of tools that works somewhat problem free, is the "Synaptic" like package manager. I trust that in the future it will have all the right futures and work properly.

Comment

Muon 1.3 (Beta) was released today. There's a PPA for it as well. Looks like a few improvements and bug-fixes are present. Details:

Muon Suite 1.3 Beta Released - Kubuntu PPA updated
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
                            Muon 1.3 (Beta) was released today. There's a PPA for it as well. Looks like a few improvements and bug-fixes are present. Details:

Muon Suite 1.3 Beta Released - Kubuntu PPA updated
                            I added the PPA from the time of my last post, yet mine only got updated to 1.2.8 today. However, since adding the PPA, I've seen a lot of improvements in stability and speed. The only thing still needs attention is the search in software manager. It still doesn't find all the program in the repository. You still have to browse category by category to see them all.

Comment

I search out packages in Synaptic, then use the CLI to install,delete,update and upgrade them.

Muon is a nice idea and I'm sure it'll be ready by 12.04.
                              Kudos to all the hard working Devs.

Comment

Originally posted by marl30
                                I added the PPA from the time of my last post, yet mine only got updated to 1.2.8 today. However, since adding the PPA, I've seen a lot of improvements in stability and speed. The only thing still needs attention is the search in software manager. It still doesn't find all the program in the repository. You still have to browse category by category to see them all.
                                Muon 1.3.50 is in šumski's KDE Goodies PPA for Oneiric and Precise.

Comment

Working...
                                X