Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

I love Muon, it's by far one of the best improvements on KDE/Kubuntu lately, with the experience of Adept(?) in 8.10 and KpackageKit, Muon is a great leap forward, especially to new GNULinux users.

I'm no programmer, but my 2 cents(..and I just had skimmed through Jonathans blog, sorry if I missed something);

Originally posted by blackpaw
    List the muon package manager along side the "Muon Software Center" in the Kicker Computer tab. Thinking the "Software Center" was all there was to muon gave me a very bad initial impression.
    - Agree, though my approach would be to have updater to be more integrated in the center, all features tabbed (like in the updater left side) to more easily reach upgradeable packages.

- The possibility to sort packages by rating - sometimes I look for a feature, rather then a package, and I would like to be able to list them by user rating, or name, or downloads(? if that's even possible - something like KDE-apps/look page).

- A Muon icon, instead of the universal .deb box and the former KpackageKit CD/box - I made one *hint* lol http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3118449.0
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

It would really be nice if the search function really worked. about 50% to 60% of the time if I try to search on something, e.g., muon, nothing happens. No search results, no indication that a search is being conducted. Nothing.

40% to 50% of the time, a search is conducted and the results appear as I type the search term character by character.

Search seems to be a binary function: either it works or fails completely.

Also, it would be nice if the update notification function worked.

I have webmin installed and it notifies me of updates. Muon is totally silent. I then start Muon and click on check for updates. It scans the repositories and lists the updates under the upgradable category and I can then perform the update/upgrade. Would be nice if Muon switched to displaying upgrade category automatically after scanning for the upgrades.

Comment

There is one more thing I want to add. I want to see a category for newly added packages to the repos under the "By Status" tab, similar to what Synaptic has.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by Berrex
          First off, Muon is way better than KPackageKit ever was. I'm very impressed. But there are a couple of things I would suggest:
          • In the main list view, it would be nice to have a column for the installed/available version numbers so we don't have to click on the package, and then go to the "Technical Details" tab.

Anyway, that's about it that I can think of for Muon. Mostly cosmetic changes. You may have noticed that most of these changes would make Muon essentially a Synaptic clone. And there's good reason for that; I think Synaptic is a fantastic package manager. :-D

One last thing that I think both Muon Software Center and Muon Package Manager would benefit greatly from is the ability to add repositories with a ppa: address. This is something that I think would be most beneficial to people who are intimidated by a CLI. This way people can add, for example, ppa:libreoffice/ppa using a simple graphical interface that's integrated right into their package manager without having to go through the "Configure Software Sources" tool and enter in the complete APT line manually.
          +1

And save last view (usually Status, Upgradable).

Comment

A couple days ago I installed Oneiric onto a DELL Inspiron 8200. It fit like a silk glove and everything works well.

While installing additional applications I got to use Muon extensively for the first time. The feature I miss the most is the use of Regular Expressions in the search box. IF I put just a piece of the name of an app in the search box Muon would return nothing. If I put a letter in the search box it would display apps that began with that letter. If I put a descriptive word in the search box Muon returned nothing.

Maybe I haven't figured out how to use it correctly, and I certainly don't want this criticism to be viewed as a "it doesn't work like Synaptic" rant .... but, Synaptic's search box works the way a search box should.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey GG!

Try upgrading the KDE to 4.7.3 from the Kubuntu Updates PPA. I've heard that doing that did the trick.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I too would like to know how muon's search algorithm works. Simple observation of a search would seem to support that it looks for matches on package names as well as package descriptions. But that doesn't explain why, for example, a search on kopete lists the package kpas among the 19 package 'matches', yet nothing in this package's name or description has anything to do with kopete.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
                  Hey GG!

Try upgrading the KDE to 4.7.3 from the Kubuntu Updates PPA. I've heard that doing that did the trick.
                  I did that awhile ago and tested Muon out. The search now works the way Synaptic does. I'm a happy camper with it now. 8)
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Like a couple of others have said, I didn't realize there was a Muon Package Manager in addition to the Muon Software Center until I read this thread. And I like the Package Manager a whole lot better! I would suggest combining them into one application (a "simple" mode and an "expert" mode). Or at least make the Package Manager easier to discover.

Comment

@ GG

No problem.

Comment

Hey GG!

Let me get this straight - Muon is THE standard package manager in 11.10, yet in order to get it working properly, an upgrade of KDE from the 11.10 version itself is needed !?!?!?!?!

Am I the only one that thinks there is something very wrong with that

Comment

What's the issue?
                          Software is in continuous development, especially live projects like Muon or KDE in general.
                          You either upgrade or don't, in this case it's not a security problem so you can make the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
                            Let me get this straight - Muon is THE standard package manager in 11.10, yet in order to get it working properly, an upgrade of KDE from the 11.10 version itself is needed !?!?!?!?!
                            Remember that Kubuntu is a community project. Most of the KDE-on-Ubuntu work happens there before it eventually migrates into the Ubuntu repositories. So it's typical for component updates to appear first in their own PPAs (here's the one for Muon), then into the Kubuntu Updates PPA, and then finally into Ubuntu updates.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            I did that awhile ago and tested Muon out. The search now works the way Synaptic does. I'm a happy camper with it now. 8)
                            That's curious...according to the package list in the Kubuntu Update PPA, there are no Muon updates. I wonder if some underlying lib dependency got updated...?

Comment

I would like Muon to behave like apt-get and tell me exactly what it is going to remove and/or install and ask for my agreement before it does anything. It's hard to see what Muon is doing. For example, if I select one package to install and click Apply, I see at the bottom of the window that Muon is installing 4 packages, I would like to know what they are.

Also more visibility on recommended packages, like apt-get does it.

Comment

Originally posted by sealbhach
                                tell me exactly what it is going to remove and/or install...I would like to know what they are.
                                Planned for version 1.3. I, for one, am supremely grateful for these new features.

Comment

Working...
                                X