This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubuntuone and owncloud for kubuntu community

ok first off if this is not the proper place for this I am sorry. I was just wondering since the devs are either ignoring kubuntu's plea for an ubuntu one client or are simply following the money with windows, android, and the like. Why can't the Kubuntu community set up it's own service using the owncloud software. Assuming of course one could set up owncloud on a server and allow others space for a price of course. Just a thought. what do you all think?

Re: ubuntuone and owncloud for kubuntu community

This is a good question but I think the answer lies in Canonical's strong belief in Ubuntu's Gnome/Unity ways.
    KDE or LXDE are not very actively supported.

The present uproar among some Gnome addicts about Unity has at least by reading this forum resulted in more interest in KDE, maybe that'll help to get the needed Canonical support.

Speaking for myself, since about 2 years I use a free 2 Gb dropbox and as my ISP goes with the times they've just increased my /home to 10Gb, I don't really see a need for Ubuntu's offering.

Comment

I'm on the same page as Teunis (except my dropbox is 3GB - gotta do those referrals, man 8) ) but I totally share the sentiment of the OP. Too bad Canonical's business model does not include KDE.

Please Read Me

Comment

However, as to dropbox see the thread elsewhere that the finanical model may not be sustainable.

If that is correct then possibly working "now" would benefit Kubuntu later.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It's been tried before: http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2010/...e-the-kde-way/

See the comments and bug report at the end. It's a real shame. And seemingly proof that the Ubuntu community seemingly really doesn't give a **** about Kubuntu. Maybe this will change over time
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I was trying to remember the site in our other discussion a while back about cloud, but couldn't remember until now. Minus is a new sharing site, one that offers 10 GB to start and allows users to expand up to 50 GB for free -- the largest free storage cloud that I know of. They provide an integration app for Ubuntu (!), plus Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android. I've opened an account and plan to give it a spin. Here's my referral link, we both get extra space through that. No pressure, though; here's their main signup page, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
              I was trying to remember the site in our other discussion a while back about cloud, but couldn't remember until now. Minus is a new sharing site, one that offers 10 GB to start and allows users to expand up to 50 GB for free -- the largest free storage cloud that I know of. They provide an integration app for Ubuntu (!), plus Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android. I've opened an account and plan to give it a spin. Here's my referral link, we both get extra space through that. No pressure, though; here's their main signup page, too.
              Thank you! Is there a possibility to share to "outsiders" who don't have Minus? Would love to see this kind of service with integrated ToDo list. Right now I have dropbox, U1 + several other cloud account each one missing one feature the other have.
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
                Thank you! Is there a possibility to share to "outsiders" who don't have Minus?
                Yes. If you mark uploads as public, they appear in your profile and are searchable. If you mark them as private, you have to provide other people with links that Minus creates.

Comment

Working...
                X