This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu Install How to

According the Kubuntu review on Ubuntu's web site, you need a bare minimum of 3GB of available hard disk space (I would suggest at least 10GB), and according to the United States University of Minnesota Ubuntu Releases (North America) link on the Download section of Kubuntu's web site, you need at least 320MB of RAM to install Gutsy.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
      According the Kubuntu review on Ubuntu's web site, you need a bare minimum of 3GB of available hard disk space (I would suggest at least 10GB), and according to the United States University of Minnesota Ubuntu Releases (North America) link on the Download section of Kubuntu's web site, you need at least 320MB of RAM to install Gutsy.
      Thats the great thing about Linux. The choice is always in the installer's hands. I recommended the size I did for a normal workstation with the home directory in another partition. That gives the base install 5.0 GB of space. Thats more than enough. Even using you figures, you will have 2.0Gb left for additional apps to install and use. That's alot of space.

That being said, if you're going to install to a single partition you'll need lots more space then the 5.0 GB I alloted.

On the Ram part they are just wrong. I can run kubuntu on 64 MB of ram. Just don't run the GUI. I have an old dell 266MHz laptop I use for network scanning that runs Feisty just great with only 256MB of Ram including the GUI. On the other hand I have the machine I am typing this on and its has 2GB of ram. They both get the job done. Its a matter of choice and thats what Linux is all about......

PDR60

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
        According the Kubuntu review on Ubuntu's web site, you need a bare minimum of 3GB of available hard disk space
        With a clean, recent installation of Gutsy, my root filesystem is sitting at 3.5GB today, so I don't know how they're going to do it on 3.0GB. I once saw my Edgy system at 4.5GB (I cleaned it and it shrunk somewhat). :P

Comment

Working...
        X