This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Install How to

I put together a How-to for the beginer. Hope everyone likes it.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=28

PDR60

Re: Kubuntu Install How to

This is just *EXCELLENT*! Thanks for all the work you've put in on this.

There are a couple of suggestions I'd make: there are a few typos ("Kububtu"?!); it would be helpful to explain that the "root password" is the one you set up during the install; it might also be helpful to explain briefly the concept of "root" and the use of "sudo/kdesu", but maybe you can't do everything.

I was also a bit surprised that you used both a console and the GUI to manage the reporsitories but when I thought about it... what a good way to show that either way does the job! Maybe you could point out that the GUI of "adept" can also be used to uncomment/enable the greyed out repositories and the console could be used to add new repositories (I think I'm correct in saying this?).

Personally I think it would be nice to show new users (Windoze converts) the GUI way first and then show how it can also be done in the CLI, but that's just a soapbox of mine.

Sorry to sound like I'm criticising, I still think this is a mint piece of work. Even as it is this should be given pride of place on the Kubuntu homepage IMHO. It's way better than the documentation I've had with many pieces of commercial software. I'll be using it to complete my install.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I try to get all the type-o's but sometimes one or two slip through. I tend to agree with about the command line . I think that what scares most users away from Linux in the first place. I like to try to show as much about the different ways of doing things in the gui and mix in a little command line to show what's really going on. I like the suggestions for the added info about root and sudo. I'll add it in.

Thanks,

PDR60

Comment

I added some more content to this How-to. Its coming along nicely. I've still got some more to get up there, I just need to find some time.

PDR60

Comment

I've added the Gaming configuration. I've had a bunch of folks request this so I added it to the install how-to. Only a few more things to add to this How-to and it will be through.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...pid=28&page=32

Comment

I've also added the configuration of Quake 4 for Kubuntu. It plays real well and since it uses the Doom 3 engine, you can also load up Doom 3 the same way. I just got back from vacation and played the new Sin title that runs on the Half-life 2 engine last week. It ran great on the same config as for the Half-life 2 setup. Anyway here is the Quake 4 link.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...pid=28&page=39

PDR60

Comment

I fanally finished the How-to. This time I added File sharing and VMware install and config. Its now 51 pages long and finished.

PDR60

Comment

Great HOWTO, for a newbie it is a huge help.
                I do have a question though, I am tring to add "multiverse" to the "Components" line, as you suggested. Each time I try by selecting "Apply" it goes away. What am I doing wrong. Also I believe you indicate that there are six to change I only see 4 in my list.

Comment

To get the option to change you have to hit enter after you type it in. If you have a sources.list file like the one in the example you should have 6 edits. Let me know how it turns out.

PDR60

Comment

Thats great it worked fine. Yes my sources.list had 6 edits.
                    It's when I made the changes in the repositories (adding multiverse) that I only had 4 edits.
                    It seems to be working fine now.
                    I do appreciate your time and effort putting this HOWTO together, it really makes it more understandable for us newbies.

Comment

Excellent How-To!
                      I, too, am a newbie and you did a great job of putting it in language that even a newbie can understand, and also explaining the terminal commands so we know what that is all about. Thanks for all your hard work! If anyone comes up with anything else they want to know about, I hope you will add it in.

Comment

great how- to love the step by step setup. but for me i have a problem once it hits step 5 of 6. is says "You can have the installer automatically create space in various ways on any one of the following hard disks. Alternatively, you can partition the disks manually." and my cursor is in the loading circle and it sits there for hours. what should i do?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarly
                          Great HOWTO, for a newbie it is a huge help.
                          I do have a question though, I am tring to add "multiverse" to the "Components" line, as you suggested. Each time I try by selecting "Apply" it goes away. What am I doing wrong. Also I believe you indicate that there are six to change I only see 4 in my list.
                          GUIs are meant for easiness but this one method is the other way round.
                          It's quite simple with "sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list" and removing the hashes before "deb" and adding "multiverse" after "universe".

Comment

Would it be appropriate to include a section on hardware requirements?
                            I just scanned your guide - perhaps I missed it.

Comment

Im not saying your base install is not complete but for people like me who are forced to keep windows you do not show a dualboot setup with grub during install and i was fighting between choosing mepis and kubuntu but i chose kubuntu because its run by more then 1 person and updates very frequently.

Also ive had experience from its oldschool versions where ive seen grub in an dualboot guide so if its not too much could you please include a dualboot install guide.

Comment

Working...
                              X