This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu Install How to

Thanks for all your work with this guide. I know that it takes a lot of time to get everything just right. This is exactly what needs to be done with everything dealing with linux. More people will venture into it if they can actually see that it isn't that much different then windows and that it isn't that difficult.

Comment

Thanks for all your work on this PDR60, I know how long stuff like this takes!

I don't know if it's because I'm doing things in the wrong order, but:

If you add the KDE repositories ( for adept - page 12ish) before using the scripted apt-get (for FF, GIMP &c - page 16) it fails with a missing public-key (at least for me!)

Also, apparently acroread isn't available anymore, it's acroread-debian-files, and I'm pretty certain the last line should be sudo apt-get update -flashplugin

That's where I'm up to, and it's going swimmingly well

Thanks again!

Comment

Woah PDR60, this is really nice work dude! Thankz man! 

5 Start Guide, I've been looking for a guide like this one, pretty much covers everything, it's great for newbies (like me) & not-so-much newbies too! 

Comment

@Coolio10: There is a very good description of a dual boot installation at http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/ . I reccomend it to everyone who can't kick the M$ habit.

Comment

End of the year, and this guide is still going strong. I'll add another thanks for the work.

Comment

I was generally impressed with this guide in terms of introducing a beginner (i'm relatively new to Linux but well experienced in computing generally) to the operating system, but a few things did confuse me.

Is there a reason why (considering it's a beginners guide) you talked through a detailed partition set up rather then just letting Kubuntu allocate things using it's defaults, i can honestly say i've never bothered handling myself and haven't run into any problems.

One could argue when editing the sources.list file disabling the multiverse repositories might be a good idea. I realise that's alot to do with preference, but i've generally found my system more stable (only enabling multiverse when i specifically need an odd package not in the universe).

Flash 9.0 is actually available as a beta .deb install now - but is perfectly stable from my experience. It also might be worth going into how if a system installs with 16 bit color flash will crash (and how to alter the xorg.conf file to make their systems 24 bit).

I'm a little curious why you made no mention of Amarok since it's the supplied core media library / player for KDE. I can only think you're a die hard Winamp fan *smiles*.. I used to be a big fan myself but i admit it has since been blown out the water with iTunes, and since moving to Linux - Amarok. Even just from the point of view of it's tight integration with Konqueror it seems a large omission.

On that same note, no mention of KAudioCreator, maybe you've had problems with it?

Though your coverage of PC emulation was great, it may have been nice to mention some native Linux games software like Nexuiz.

I was also curious by your command to set the Quake 4 driver to OSS, i never had a problem with that on my Audigy - is it a wide spread issue?

I thought the install script part was a really good addition, i'll be making my own i think.

And finally well done with the Samba turtorial, i thought that part was great.

x trash x

Comment

Good job.

Would like to see a section(s) on all linux file and printer sharing.

Comment

Hey pdr60, the Install How to is terrific! Any chance of you updating it to Edgy If (6.10)?

Thanks, pwc

Comment

Um, i cannot access the link somehow..

Comment

I was going to do a 6.10 How-to but I think I'll just wait until 7.0x. Its going to be quite a release... I'll do it just like the 6.06...... with a few improvements. Since we are about a month away I'm getting pretty excited. I'll probably have it up within a couple of days of the release.

PDR60

Comment

thanks for the guide exactly what I've been looking for, but when i get to the page 8 and click fetch updates, it just goes to "waiting for headers (0%)" so i skipped it and yet again when i was at page 12 when i click fetch updates it just stays at waiting for headers (0%), I'm new to linux and don't have a clue whats going on, any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Hmmm seems like you don't have an internet connection. If you would go to the site and post your system info like hardware setup, that would be a great help. I'll get you going and then you'll be ready to go. You can check your internet connection by going to the control center and checking the network. connections.

PDR60

Comment

Originally posted by PDR60
                            Hmmm seems like you don't have an internet connection. If you would go to the site and post your system info like hardware setup, that would be a great help. I'll get you going and then you'll be ready to go. You can check your internet connection by going to the control center and checking the network. connections.

PDR60
                            [EDIT] I finally got it working, the way I got it working was to use the sources.list file from the live cd on my install and it fetched repositories right away. Downloading the updates as I type [/EDIT]

that's the thing I posted that when i was in kubuntu? I'm on windows just now (dual booting using grub) but here are my specs ::

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
                            1GB Corsair Value DDR400
                            ASUS A8N SLi-Premium
                            Club 3D 7600GT
                            Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80GB IDE

It's weird because I can access the websites with kubuntu just fine but I can't fetch updates or anything from the adept package manager or through the terminal

Comment

Hello,

Could this help you with dual boot?

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual_boot.html

Dedoimedo

Comment

what size does the partion need to be to make it work

Comment

Working...
                                X