This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Software

Muon seems to hang partway through the installation. This has happened a few times. The funny thing is for example, installing Thunderbird; it appeared to have hung half way through yet Thunderbird was installed. Then to close Muon I had to hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc and "end process". I'm new to Kubuntu because I don't care for Ubuntu Unity.

Re: Muon Software

the "muon Software center" is a little vague on what it's doing .....use the "muon package manager" to see better whats happening .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      the "muon Software center" is a little vague on what it's doing .....use the "muon package manager" to see better whats happening .

VINNY
      Thanks; I hadn't noticed the Package Manager. 8)

Comment

it all looks nice but I keep getting an error message:
        "Unable to obtain package s...."
        "Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages."

I have no other package managers running (visably) and I tried to look through the process list but I couldn't notice anything that looked like a package manager there either.
        Anyone got a clue?

Comment

I had to run
          dpkg-reconfigure -a
          it looked like muon software centre had hanged and not finished what it was doing and therefore had locked the installing/uninstalling system....

Bottom line- do not install things using Muon software centre - use Muon package manager, as mentioned by vinnywright... too bad I didn't know from the beginning.

Comment

This has been an interesting thread and it lead me to install the Muon package manager.

I've always just used synaptic.

However, I've been involved, tangentially, with several efforts to corral package installation, some of which worked and some didn't and thereby got to see some of the problems associated with the effort and some very imaginative answers to displaying package information etc.

Sooooo..... in light of the above, I've presently used Muon to install several packages and do find that the seemingly revamped categories, descriptions and the screenshots WHICH WORK....btw.... to be quite nice.

thanks again for the thread.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X