This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC with Samba shares

I have an LG NAS that uses Samba (SMB) shares for the files.

On a Kubuntu 10.10 variant opening the smb share in Konqueror and then right click Open with VLC is fine. VLC 1.1.5

On Kubuntu Oneiric 11.10 with VLC 1.1.11 results in " vlc-is-unable-to-open-the-mrl"

If I put the SMB password in for the NAS under the preferences| Input| Access Modules | SMB , it works fine.

I do NOT have to do this on the 10.10 variant (the SMB settings are blank) , and it plays the files with the right click, open with, no problems.

fuse is NOT in use on the working setup, so the posts about gvfs-fuse are not applicable as this is not even installed on the system, where it works fine.

Something changed in VLC? KDE 4.7.2? ?

Any other suggestions?

Re: VLC with Samba shares

Per VLC forum, no changes in the Samba (SMB) plugin that VLC uses.

So what controls passing the user/pass from a SMB share opened in Konqi to a program ie: VLC being able to use this share via the existing "connection"

Something changed along the line or is not setup to pass this info in the background.

Any ideas? ?

Comment

Thank you for this tip! It helped me playing video from a Windows Home Server. But it is a bit annoying that VLC is not able to just access the files without this as I have already given the username and password in Dolphin...
      Regards,
      Oceanwatcher
      Blog: http://www.wisnaes.com/
      Pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
      Software tips (in Norwegian): http://www.datahverdag.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanwatcher
        Thank you for this tip! It helped me playing video from a Windows Home Server. But it is a bit annoying that VLC is not able to just access the files without this as I have already given the username and password in D[censored]
        I am not sure what changed or whats missing v. prior editions, but something has, as the SMB rights are not getting passed to VLC some where.

Comment

Use Gigolo or SMB4k to mount the shares. Then you'll have no problem playing VLC from ~/.gvfs/* or ~/smb4k/* respectively.

Comment

Sounds good to use Gigolo or SMB4K but really this doesn't solve the issue. I want to be able to swap over to KDE full time but I always find little things that are just a pain. Like this issue for example.

Just need to identify why this is happening so a fix can be issued.

I'm on the same issue. I have absolutely no issues in the unity desktop at all....

Cheers

Comment

you can use SMB4K since it just makes it easier to mount the share the correct way.. the "correct" way to mount smb shares is by adding a line to your /etc/fstab for the share. (using smbfs as type). you can use the options to tell it that the share is a network device and also you can have it mount when used not always.

there is nothing to "fix" gnome just automounts anything it possibly can. its a very bad habit.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I am genuinely curious, If you don't mind telling me, why is automounting the way gnome does it "a very bad habit".

It isn't a problem for the more experienced user but isn't that the kind of experience general users wants from an OS. To be able to work seamlessly without having to customise installs and delve deeper into configurations manually to achieve what they want.

Comment

I'm using Smb4K at home. While not as transparent as GVFS, it's the best KDE-based GUI method I've found for connecting to SMB shares on my Windows Home Server. It doesn't require modifications in or make modifications to /etc/fstab, which I like. It performs a similar kind of automatic "behind the scenes" mounting that GVFS does; the shares appear under ~/smb4k.

sithlord -- If I'm correctly reading what you wrote, you're saying that Smb4k modifies /etc/fstab...?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                    sithlord -- If I'm correctly reading what you wrote, you're saying that Smb4k modifies /etc/fstab...?
                    yes it does seam to read that way, but i was not trying to say that. i was trying to show the correct way to do this is to mount the share.

Originally posted by deb8trogg
                    I am genuinely curious, If you don't mind telling me, why is automounting the way gnome does it "a very bad habit".
                    i had left out part of that accidentally, while by itself it seams to not be bad but when combined with the default of also allowing autorun it can lead to problems. i can't find the link, but i remember reading about some people exploiting that to gain access to machines even when locked with the screen saver.

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

hey guys I thought I would give SMB4k a crack and I get this error msg. Didn't this app mount shares without having to have it in the /dev/fstab

mount.cifs: permission denied: no match for /home/g/smb4k/g-pc/dshare found in /etc/fstab

Cheers

Comment

In your Smb4K configuration, did you select both options on the Super User page?

Comment

Working...
                        X