This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to 11.10 and Kmail2 Migration Issues

From the testing I and others have done, and the amount of possible problems that seem to crop up, I am recommending that for most Kmail users, the best way to go is to NOT use the migration tool. It probably won't run successfully anyway, but even working around that still may not produce good results

I recommend backing up your existing kmail data, recreating all your mail accounts from scratch, and importing your backed-up email into this fresh setup

Please read the wiki page I began HERE. and do feel free to add any fixes or workarounds you may have. Also, it may be an important step to create or add input to existing bugs over at b.k.o, maybe the information can assist in getting these things fixed or at least looked at.

While overall, Kmail2 is actually quite good imo, the migration process is not.
    Frankly, I am rather dismayed that this is such bad shape, seeing as the rest of KDE 4.7 is so darn awesome.

Laying blame is useless, as for one it is too late :/, and it basically falls on everyone from KDE/Kdepim developers, us at Kubuntu for perhaps not finding a way to stick to the previous kdepim or get more testing done, and to us for not testing this enough and adding bug reports.

We need to keep level heads here, please. Being that we are Kubuntu, we will get the lion's share of any negative feedback I am sure, even though these things are not distro-specific. imo. But more and more folks will be getting ticked off if these problems are widespread.

Re: Upgrading to 11.10 and Kmail2 Migration Issues

Good advice claydoh. Sadly it came to late for me - I upgraded and tried to let it migrate. Lets just say it was messy.........

I finally have email working now, but it took a while to recover and import everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy
      I finally have email working now, but it took a while to recover and import everything.
      It would be very helpful for all the others out there if you would document just what you had to do to get it all working - a step-by-step set of instructions.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I still do not know if I fixed the problem or created some more I do not know about yet, but I accidentally got kmail to work by pointing the akonadi setup to the ~.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail directory and other directories previously used by the old system...
        Why migrate if the old datastructure works (sorta like puttin a porsche on a beetle engine?)

Comment

Me was using KMail for a few years (at least two last ones).

I wonder how to use KMail2 with profit for now, since I was unable to start this complicated system working properly after oneiric upgrade.

All my accounts are of IMAP type, I have tried migration, but was unable to see any message from mailboxes (they are empty in KMail2 while really are full of my usual mail).

I decided to run cleanup KMail2 setup from empty akonadi agents list, adding simple IMAP account to configuration, but this also does not work - every several seconds I receive *"Unable to append item flags"* message.
          Code:
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 75 SELECT SILENT 253 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 75 OK Completed 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 76 FETCH 1:* CACHEONLY EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID REMOTEID REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE) 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 76 OK FETCH completed 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 77 BEGIN 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 77 OK Begin completed 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 78 X-AKAPPEND 253 11952 (\MimeType[message/rfc822] "\\RemoteId[83]" \SEEN) ("PLD:HEAD[1]":296,"PLD:ENVELOPE[1]":360) {656} 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) + Ready for literal data (expecting 656 bytes) 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 78 NO Unable to append item flags. 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 79 ROLLBACK 
          akonadi_imap_resource_13 (0x7f14a00008f0) 79 OK Rollback completed
          What do I need to remove from (where?) to start Kmail2 in a clean and operable mode?
          What things also I have to check to ensure that KMail2 will start in clean and usable state?

ps. "Can you read e-mail?" - "No, It is still too new to read"

Comment

I was using Kmail for a couple of years and I was completely satisfied with it.

After several hours now running into all the problems the forums are full with, deleting config files, uninstalling Kmail2 and installing again - finally I dropped Kmail2. I simply cannot get it working.

Finally I ended up with installing Thunderbird - which was so easy to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar
              I was using Kmail for a couple of years and I was completely satisfied with it.

After several hours now running into all the problems the forums are full with, deleting config files, uninstalling Kmail2 and installing again - finally I dropped Kmail2. I simply cannot get it working.

Finally I ended up with installing Thunderbird - which was so easy to set up.
              Yes, agree. Who can excuse such application development?

BTW, I have removed configs, and was able to attach one IMAP mbox with human readable messages!:

Code:
              rm -rf ~/.local/share/akonadi 
              rm -rf ~/.config/akonadi 
              rm -rf ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*

find ~/ -name 'akonadi*' -delete
              In addition to above Ive got the same issue with Favorite folder view (which is not a list and not configurable, thus displaying 22x22 icon on my laptop screen).

But with fulfilling a gap I have to to tell about the rest - all other things looks good and clear, and a newest akonadi_google_data agents too. Many thanks to developers.

---
              After playing with new KMail2 akonadi backend I can say that this idea is not bad, loading message bodies faster than previously it was, posts are nicely and simply searchable. But with defending a content from my mailboxes I have to add that akonadi is good for caching searchable content (searchable by nepomuk), and Ive doubt that it is also good for permanent and stable general storage backend (especially with versioning of future upgrades of internal components, e.g. nepomuk/akonadi/strigi/virtuoso etc).

This implies that KMail2 has indeed internal caching engine upgraded with a very good searching extent, and potential user still can use old and well-known mbox format for its own mail archive, and dont rely on KMail2 as a common and general storage for all its e-mailing, its simply not true, I suspect.... akonadi kmail2 upgrade just incorrectly presented, I think.... From this point of view there is no reason for disappointment.

Also, see here: http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

Comment

Working...
              X