X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: users comments on various android cell phone implementations

Originally posted by steveriley
    Surely most of us here can follow step-by-step directions, no? Just head the XDA wiki page about your phone, read read read
    I'd love to. The problem is, there is no page about my phone. They have a few Motorola phones but not the Bravo.

Also, everything I've read elsewhere about rooting the Bravo wouldn't work for me; I got stuck at one of the first steps, where you're supposed to enable "unknown sources" (or something like that), but my settings have no such option.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
      I'd love to. The problem is, there is no page about my phone. They have a few Motorola phones but not the Bravo.
      XDA has a full section on the Bravo:

Sometimes you have to search outside XDA to find rooting instructions. Here's one I found with a simple Google search.

Also, everything I've read elsewhere about rooting the Bravo wouldn't work for me; I got stuck at one of the first steps, where you're supposed to enable "unknown sources" (or something like that), but my settings have no such option.
      Menu | Settings | Applications | Unknown sources ... that's the path to the setting on all my Android devices, at least...

Comment

Most of what I've listed here comes in free and paid versions. Free versions are often ad-supported and sometimes have fewer features. I'm partial to the paid versions. Useful Android apps generally range between one and four dollars. People pour vast hours into creating amazing apps, I believe they should reap reward from their efforts. So if you can afford it, I'd encourage you to get the paid versions of apps you use regularly.
        Fabulous post!

I agree with you comment about being partial to paid versions. When I first started using Linux I paid for my first copy of it, RH5.0. I switched to SuSE and paid for 22 consecutive boxed sets. I have purchased or donated to every distro I use, and I donate to many apps that are offered for free and have no qualms about paying for those that are not. The only software I came to resent purchasing was Win95, but Win287, Win3.0, 3.1, 3.1WFWG, NT 3.5, 4.0, W2K and XP were paid for willingly. Especially XP. My most recent purchase of software is Minecraft, which I plan to use with my 10 year old grandson. For the most part, except for its vulnerability to malware, it isn't Windows that upsets me, it is Microsoft's lack of ethical behavior. So, I add my voice to yours in encouraging users of GPL software to willingly pay for or contribute to those delivering the applications. Try the free one first to see if you like it. IF you do, then buy the app.

Your post on rooting Android phones is superb! I am gong to make this thread a sticky note (and I won't remove extraneous comments, DoYouKubuntu! )

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
          GREAT post! I'll probably not root my phone but I WILL remove the widgets on home page! thanks.
          Originally posted by dibl
          @steveriley, thank you for posting this excellent information!
          Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Your post on rooting Android phones is superb!
          Thank you, kind sirs. Glad to know it's useful.

Comment

XDA has a full section on the Bravo:

Sometimes you have to search outside XDA to find rooting instructions. Here's one I found with a simple Google search.
            Yes, I read that page months ago--it's for windoze users.

Menu | Settings | Applications | Unknown sources ... that's the path to the setting on all my Android devices, at least...
            ...but not on mine.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

...but not on mine.
              Are you on AT&T? Does this page help?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                ...The only software I came to resent purchasing was Win95, but Win287, Win3.0, 3.1, 3.1WFWG, NT 3.5, 4.0, W2K and XP were paid for willingly. Especially XP. ...
                Be aware that if you purchase an Android phone manufactured by anyone other than Motorola, you are "buying" Android from Microsoft at the cost of $5-15. That will make you vomit.

I was so happy to get my Hero from HTC prior to their "agreement".

Comment

I was aware of the Android "tax" that Microsoft is extorting from small equipment and smartphone makers using Linux or Android. I often wondered why Microsoft didn't sue Google for making Android, instead of the small-time companies using Android. IF Android does contain MS IP, which I totally don't believe, Microsoft should be suing Google, not the small fry. But then, Google has the power and money to defend it self and win in court. The small fry Microsoft has been extorting find it cheaper to pay Microsoft for a "license" than it is to pay expensive lawyers for 5 to 10 years in a protracted court battle. Besides, with this method Microsoft's extortion tax bringing in a nice chunk of "revenue". Consider that the Android powered smartphones have captured 52% of that market, while Microsoft's WinP7 has remained stagnant at 2% since it was first introduced a year ago.

I find it amusing to consider that IF Android is using MS IP, then how come Android is so good and WinP7 is such a loser? Why would MS deliberately use the poorer parts of its technology and fail against another product which supposedly is using the same IP?

I was also wondering why Google just didn't cut to the chase and sue Microsoft for patent abuse. A few days (weeks?) ago Google purchased Motorola. I wondered why they did that. Yesterday (yes, I know, I am slow) I realized that by buying Motorola, Google has done two things:
                  1) purchased their own smartphone hardware maker which Microsoft can't intimidate into "licensing" Android, and
                  2) they now are responsible for defending Motorola against Microsoft's lawsuit, which was filed a year ago.

IOW, Maverick has now re-engaged the enemy! The fight is on. If Google looses this fight Microsoft could end up "owning" Android. It would then proceed to attack other users of Linux, and Linux distro makers. If Google wins, it could spell the beginning of the end for Microsoft. Expect this battle to be ferocious and dirty. No holds barred. A death match if there ever was one.

Just like in the SCO case, the outcome probably won't be known for at least 5 years. Just like in the SCO case Microsoft and its now well documented sycophants will bombard the media with supposedly "unbiased" articles explaining why Google can't win, and rooting for Microsoft. We've seen it all before. The Combs vs Microsoft trail produced emails and courtroom testimony which demonstrated that "reporters", like Maureen O'Gara, deliberated planted stories for Microsoft. It also revealed the digital terrorist unit created by Microsoft employee James Plamondon, who called his boys "Technical Evangelists" to conceal their purpose, which was revealed in the Combs-3096.pdf document. Plamondon's presentation starts on page 7 with his view of developers, but the real meat of his attacks, begin on page 47 and continues on. They include "The Jihad", the The Slog", and "The Stacked Panel". It was such an embarrassment to him to be publicly outed that Plamondon did a Mia Culpa and warned that MS was still using the unethical, if not illegal, techniques he taught.

P.S. -- I often have wondered what happen to James Plamondon after he left Microsoft. I had read that he moved to Australia. Today, while redoing my research on my comments of this topic I happen to stumble across his latest bio:
                  Default Re: Introduce Yourself...

James Plamondon, once a bleed-six-colors Mac developer (1983-1992), then joined Microsoft to learn how to establish new technologies as industry standards (1992-2000, http://platformevangelism.spaces.live.com), then led a (failed) attempt to bring a new musical instrument to market (2003-2008, www.thummer.com).

Now writing an app to use the iPhone as the "instrument." Should be a good learning project, and may make a buck or two.

--- James
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Great post GG, as per usual!

I did NOT know about the shenanigans of MS and the liscence.

If you would, you might expound for us plain folk, I am not a smart man, the essence of the MS argument.

also

you wrote:

It would then proceed to attack other users of Linux, and Linux distro makers.

I argued, back in the beginnings of my Linux days that eventually, MS would find some kind of handle to get "at" Linux, at that time I thought it was a distro named Xan... but was always shouted down that it would "never happen" and that I was just a noob and should shut up.

One of the devs of Wine that was also at Xan.... swore on a stack of Bibles, several years later, in a post specifically to me that there was NEVER any kind of "back door" deal between Wine/Xan/MS etc. and ......since all that one can do is take a post at the face of the post so who was I to argue.

If Google is going to go "mano a mano" with Microsith then it might be that the REAL reason that Capt. Picard is using the transluscent "clipboard" computer in STNG would have been because Google saved Linux! lol

again, good post GG

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

...but not on mine.
                      Are you on AT&T? Does this page help?
                      Yes! Thank you. I hadn't checked for anything in months, so I was unaware of this. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                        Be aware that if you purchase an Android phone manufactured by anyone other than Motorola, you are "buying" Android from Microsoft at the cost of $5-15. That will make you vomit.
                        I must be REALLY out of the loop, because I had no idea that Micro$oft was up to its usual tricks of trying to squash any/all competition.

I wish I could take credit for having chosen a Motorola phone based on the above, but it was pure dumb luck--that makes me very happy right about now.

Comment

Ha ha! It looks like my worst fear has materialized.

Now that I was able to add "Unknown sources" to my phone, I proceeded with the instructions for rooting the Bravo found here. Everything looked great, just humming along...until the phone froze up solid 30+ minutes ago. (Its clock stopped, so I know the exact time it froze.) It's stuck on the z4root screen saying "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." and it's locked up so hard I can't even force it to shutdown by holding down the power button.

Soooooo...I wonder what I should do next?

UPDATE: I had to pull the battery; once done, the phone came back up and I retried running z4root. Right now it's looking good...

Comment

UPDATE: I had to pull the battery; once done, the phone came back up and I retried running z4root. Right now it's looking good...
                            That was going to be my suggestion.

I, uh, failed to mention that we possessors of rooted devices fairly quickly become quite intimate with the machinations of our battery covers

Comment

That was going to be my suggestion.

I, uh, failed to mention that we possessors of rooted devices fairly quickly become quite intimate with the machinations of our battery covers
                              I suppose I'm about to become as familiar with my phone's guts as I've been with computers' guts for the last 25+ years!

Comment

I suppose I'm about to become as familiar with my phone's guts as I've been with computers' guts for the last 25+ years!
                                They aren't all that different, really. Just smaller. Although when you think about it in dollars per cubic inch (brand new no-contract itty bitty G2, $400; honkin' tricked-out no-name white box PC laden with accessories, $1000), it's easy to see why one would be more fearful to tip-toe through a phone than to tear into a tower.

Comment

Working...
                                X