This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever tried Pardus 2011?

I was curious if anyone has tried it out, ive heard nothing but good things, except that, lack of something like kpackage hurts it.

things in particular i'd like to know about

1. Is it fast?
    2. Bug free?
    3. Hardware support ok?
    4. How much of a pain is it really to work without a repository.
    5. Just any thoughts in general.

Normally when i wanna play with a distro i like do a full blown install like a main OS
    but i've had some issues with this one so far.
    I downloaded the 64 bit iso off the site, and, for some reason cannot get it to burn to dvd.
    I have tried on mutiple computers, on multiple OSes, which is leading me to believe just
    maybe something is wrong with the iso itself. Has anyone else been able to do this?
    Gonna check out the 32 bit version with virtual box, see how that goes. Not as fun but...
    bleh...

Re: Has anyone ever tried Pardus 2011?

Ok, so, i've finally got a working version of Pardus 2011 installed on my laptop to try.
    First impressions is... Pardus is really cool, rock solid, nice installation, very fast*.
    They do have a package type installer, called Pisi, and it is not half as bad as people
    say. You can even get skype from it(which was a great help as, i was completely lost
    on which skype to download from the site and ran into issues with the static).
    The whole thing in general is very solid and well polished. Internet(wireless), audio,
    and flash worked right out of the box

Somethings others might wanna know.

uses kde and...
    Comes with...

... Firefox as default browser
    ... Libreoffice as the default "office" program
    ... Clementine is the defualt audio player
    ... Has Yakuake pre-installed

My first time using clementine, and i like it alot, i think maybe i like it better then amarok.
    Overall im very impressed, especially since pardus is really not talked about that much.

I also tried out mint xfce** the same day... and..all I'll say on that is the experience wasnt a good one,
    I'll give specifics if anyone is curious but overall i'll give mint xfce a 6/10.

installed on sony vaio e-series with an i5 and 4gigs of ram

** i am aware that it isnt expected to be out of the box friendly like
    mint 11, which i have also tried and i felt was a very good distribution
    so please dont take the comment as lm bashing.

Comment

I had a brief look a few weeks ago but had problems with the Wifi, i just could not get my Wifi to connect, it just kept asking for the password >. I believe this turned out to be a problem across KDE in general in the end. However i ended up going back to Ubuntu 11.04, although i wasn't intially keen on Unity. That started to grow on me but then i had a few problems with applications that i couldn't get to work, which did work in 10.10. So then i decided to give Kubuntu another go after googling the Wifi problem the coast appeared to be clear and here i am .

I agree the initial install of Pardus 2011 was very impressive and if it hadn't of been for the Wifi i may have stayed a little longer. Another thing i noticed (on my machine anyway) was that the grub was displayed when i switched on, although no major problem i found it a bit annoying/ugly as i prefer a nice clean start up, one of the reasons I'm with Kubuntu now.
      Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

yeah, that grey grub is kinda ugly.

Comment

Not yet, but i think lets give a try..
          Professional seo services<br />Pet insurance<br />Cash for gold

Comment

I have been using Mint "Katya" as my main distro for some time and I am very happy with it. I switched to it as a fugitive from Unity. I also use it to install on computers I don't own but have convinced users to try Linux. It saves me a lot of set up time because the install comes preloaded with all the restricted extras and codecs. Stuff I would have to spend time installing anyway. I am using the Gnome version. I still have Kubuntu 11.04 and Kubuntu 11.10 installed on other partitions just to keep up with KDE so that i can still be useful on this forum.

Comment

Working...
            X