This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mkv video. Sound, but no video in Kaffeine or Dragon Player.SOLVED

I usually play mkv files on VLC, but I'd like to convert one to dvd so I need to fix this issue. I have the restricted extras package installed and videos play fine in all 3 players, just not mkv files in the 2 that need the codecs. Also, every time I try to convert the file using devede, it fails.

I'm running 10.4 on a dell inspiron 531 with AMD Athlon dual core.

Any suggestions?

Re: mkv video. Sound, but no video in Kaffeine or Dragon Player.

Hi Charles,

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this, but I had never even heard of mkv files so I provide this link for the casual observers:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...o_play_mkv.cfm

I'm sure that someone will be by presently to help.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Since mkv is only a conatainer, you need to use VLC to tell us what codecs are in the mkv (Tools-->Codec Info)
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

do you have the medibuntu repo setup and the w32codecs/w64codecs package?
        FKA: tanderson

Comment

Well, I looked at the VLC codec info and it looks like it has the avc1 video codec and the audio codec is mp4a. Video resolution is 1280 by 544. So it's an HD video. Hmm...

I went ahead and installed the medibuntu repositories and the codecs. No difference whatsoever. Still black screen with audio. There is a long pause before even the audio works.

Comment

Ran it through an mkv file creator and lowered the resolution. It was an HD video and apparently my computer is not set up to handle HD at all. Played the file using both video players. Worked great!

Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X