Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] 4.6.2 Upgrade - No graphic login and no Login control in systemsettings

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 4.6.2 Upgrade - No graphic login and no Login control in systemsettings

Just updated 3 machines from KDE 4.6.1 to 4.6.2 through Apt.

Went to reboot and there is no graphic login.

I have a Nvidia card so it goes to the Text Kubuntu screen with the Dots and stalls there.

Had to go through grub and text login and start x there.
    Then the KDE Desktop comes up.

Also noticed that the control in System Settings to modify the Login is missing.

Also, during the update, there was a prompt that asked for a decision for the KDM settings.
    I selected NO at this prompt.

Is there a fix for this coming up?

==== Update to this Post =======

I checked out the Kubuntu PPA buglists, and sure enough, the Kubuntu-Desktop was not upgraded in the update.

First tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure kubuntu-desktop and the feedback was that it was not installed.

Next did sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, and the KDM and the systemsettings controls for Login were now there.

Did a reboot and all is back to normal.

Re: KDE 4.6.2 Upgrade - No graphic login and no Login control in systemsettings

I had your same problem and tried your fix and it didn't work. I'm running a GTX 460 with the linux drivers from the nvidia website. I'm stuck staring at the cli login now and feeling very depressed...

When I try to "start kdm" I get:

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type "method call", sender=":1.12" (uid=1000 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

Update
    now (after reboot) when I try to start kdm it says that its already running or that its "running, process 1436" and when I try to stop it.I get "kdm stop/waiting".

Update 2.0
    Without rebootimg, I went to my.nvidia drivef and reinstalled it again, started kdm, amd it startedlike nothing ever happened (the smug little bugger).

Comment

Re: KDE 4.6.2 Upgrade - No graphic login and no Login control in systemsettings

I was offered the Safe Mode log in.

This is a recurring issue after some fundamental upgrades and for me the easy way is to copy back an older /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
      You can do this from the command line or start up from a live CD/USB.
      (The system will usually keep a copy of the original xorg.conf file.)

The content of my fall back xorg.conf:
      Code:
      Section "Screen"
      	Identifier	"Default Screen"
      	DefaultDepth	24
      EndSection

Section "Module"
      	Load	"glx"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      	Identifier	"Default Device"
      	Driver	"nvidia"