Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(WARNING Linux newbie here) WHY a separate partition for bootloader???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (WARNING Linux newbie here) WHY a separate partition for bootloader

so I take it I must place swap, /tmp & /home at the end of the extended partition ? (end of drive actualy)

like, swap at the end, /tmp right behind & /home 3rd last...

Comment

The sequencing of your partitions is not important. If you were using an entire hard drive, I would repeat the theoretical advantage of locating swap in the middle of the drive, but in reality (a) it's more theoretical than practical, and (b) with modern systems having plenty of memory, the only common use for swap is for Suspend to Disk aka "hibernate".

So, don't worry about it -- just so you know which partition is which, that's the key.

Comment

Older advice was always to put swap as the first primary partition. I doubt with modern drives (who "lie" about their geometry anyway) it really makes much of a difference.

Please Read Me

Comment

k so what aboçut the 1st question I wanna do multiboot with windows + Linux (possibly several Linux distros) how do I do that then ?

Comment

Grub's "os-prober" will automatically find and set up your Windows OS in the boot menu, at the time that you install Grub at the end of the Kubuntu installation process. Or, if it doesn't, you'll begin that character-building process called "learning Linux".

Comment

results a plenty! Have fun with it. That's what this is all about
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Here is the ancient and now obsolete guidance for placement of the swap partition on the hard disk drive (par. 4.4.3): http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/requ....html#SwapSize

However, modern hardware with 2GB of memory, or more, should not normally use swap at all, unless it is to hibernate, in which case the speed of it is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
                  results a plenty! Have fun with it. That's what this is all about
                  I meant multi-boot more then just dual-boot

anyway...I think I know why I got this error on 1st try...did some search & turns out darn Grub doesn't support ext4 or other modern filesystems >

so things like (Debian + ext4) = fail gonna have to use an ooold filesystem for this one

Comment

Originally posted by kain

did some search & turns out darn Grub doesn't support ext4 or other modern filesystems >
                    You really, really, need to change your sources of information. That is just as bunko as the theory of splitting the filesystem across multiple partitions.

Comment

yeah well...debian (w/grub) still dont recognize my / partition (ext4) > > >

gonna try w/lilo maybe

else will try ext3

Comment

I Install Kubuntu first and/or don't use EXT4

Please Read Me

Comment

Just read the entire thread. kain said: "debian (w/grub) still dont recognize my / partition (ext4)" and dibl replied: "You really, really, need to change your sources of information. That is just as bunko as the theory of splitting the filesystem across multiple partitions."

Both statements are correct and incorrect.

What kain has not told us is what version of Debian he is using. If it is Lenny 5.0 or earlier, he is correct - it doesn't support ext4 file systems.

What dibl said is correct if the Debian being used is Squeeze 6.0 ("Stable"), Wheezy ("Testing"), or Sid ("Unstable").
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X