Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dolphin&konqueror network browsing issue--maybe it's a bug???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dolphin&konqueror network browsing issue--maybe it's a bug???

I'm running a Kubuntu Lucid wins client. When I call up my workgroup from dolphin or konqueror I correctly see all the machines on the network. I can access the shared folder by clicking on all the machines but one and see their shared drive(s) in a . If I click on that machine, instead of seeing "problem-server-name" in the address bar I see a blank which then opens up the workgroup display again.

If I enter "problem-server-name" into the address bar I get the same result, it turns blank and I get the workgroup display. On the other hand if i enter the ipaddress rather the name, it correctly displays the share on "problem-server-name" server.

This only occurs on my Kubuntu machine. The wins server running Ubuntu Lucid works properly. My Ubuntu Lucid wins client also works as expected. My windoze 7 laptop and my xp netbook correctly find the machine using "problem-server-name" as well.

nmblookup on kubuntu machine resolves the "problem-server-name", "ipaddress" correctly for "problem-server-name" using the wins server.

If I enter:

nmblookup -U "win-server-name" -R "problem-server-name"

It responds:

querying "problem-server-name" on xx.xx.xx.255
    "ipaddress" "problem-server-name"

That should mean that nmbd (or maybe smbd) should be able to resolve the ipaddress but somehow it isn't happening. Checking the smbd and nmbd logs, and running testparm, I don't see anything suspicious.

Re: dolphin&konqueror network browsing issue--maybe it's a bug

More info...Samba on the working Ubuntu desktop uses a copy of the smb.conf from the non-working Kubuntu desktop. Also, I see the same problem with both Kubuntu Lucid 64bit and Kubuntu Lucid 32bit machines. The latter uses a simpler smb.conf.

Comment

Working...
    X