This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty "All Effects" list for desktop effects

Not that I USE desktop effects that much, I'll admit, since there always seems to be something wrong; today, for example, with them on I get crackling through my speakers whenever I switch windows or pull down yakuake (which is really quite weird). Still, they've been getting better, in previous iterations they work completely unusably slow on this iMac's Radeon X1600 (mobile).

Anyways, at the moment I was trying to trim down which effects were enabled and which weren't, and the settings for each . . . but the actual tab within "Configure desktop effects" ("All Effects") is . . . entirely empty. Why could this be? Are there any fixes or alternatives?

I'm running 4.5.1, btw.

Re: Empty "All Effects" list for desktop effects

I had this happen twice... Once when I had the 'Enable desktop effects' unchecked and another time when I switched the 'Composting type' (under the 'Advanced' tab) from OpenGL to XRender. I would say if your effects are enabled (and not suspended), try switching your composting type.
    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

when this happens it means you card is on the blacklist located in the file ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc this can happen if you enable an effect that is not working. i have seen this on several machines. if you edit this file to remove you card from the black list your effects should work again.

i would highly advice that you do not use Xrender as a backend since every machine i have tried it on works very slow compaired to openGL.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Actually, in my experience at least on this machine XRender is MUCH faster, strangely enough, although significantly slower on a choice few effects, which is why I was hoping to disable those and only those.

Even more strangely, when I try to change the compositing type it now just reverts to XRender anyways after failing to initialize. So OpenGL doesn't appear to be an option anymore, although why that would start now I have no idea.

Comment

either way you will have to edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file to take the driver off the black list, so you can change the options of the effects.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
            either way you will have to edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file to take the driver off the black list, so you can change the options of the effects.
            This will also bring back the OpenGL option.
            Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

You can delete ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file and than hit alt+f2 and type kwin --replace. It will restart kwin and generate new, bugfree kwinrc file. I assume you are using free radeon driver. I think thread I made can help you a lot to get more smooth desktop effects:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5222#msg245222

Cheers
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Working...
              X